Sunday, November 9, 2014

Feeling Melancholy on This Sunday Evening

bycommonconsent.com

“You have been my friend. That in itself is a tremendous thing. I wove my webs for you because I liked you. After all, what's a life, anyway? We're born, we live a little while, we die. A spider's life can't help being something of a mess, with all this trapping and eating flies. By helping you, perhaps I was trying to lift up my life a trifle. Heaven knows anyone's life can stand a little of that.” 

This is one of my very favorite quotes, and it always reminds me of some people who are quite important to me. It also reminds me of a friend, or two, I have lost.

It has such a melancholy feel to me, bittersweet, but very tender, and warm. Friendship is warmth, provides warmth, doesn’t it? 

For several reasons, I have called this quote to mind recently.


What is your favorite quote, friendship or not?

3 comments:

Jack said...

I remember watching Charlotte's Web on TV, that and Rikki Tikki Taavi were among my favorite treats, cartoons in the evening, once a year.

Your post reminds me of

“Piglet sidled up to Pooh from behind. "Pooh?" he whispered.
"Yes, Piglet?"
"Nothing," said Piglet, taking Pooh's hand. "I just wanted to be sure of you.”
― A.A. Milne, Winnie-the-Pooh

Gina said...

I don't remember watching CW on TV, but I read and re-read the book so many times until I almost had it memorized. I recall Rikki Tikki Taavi too. My dad traveled a ton when I was young. My mom used cartoons a lot.

I love a million Pooh quotes. Read every book, saw every TV special, and watched all the videos with my kids. The quotes sometimes make me cry with sentiment. Some of my favorites are:

“If you live to be a hundred, I want to live to be a hundred minus one day so I never have to live without you.”

“We'll be Friends Forever, won't we, Pooh?' asked Piglet.
Even longer,' Pooh answered.”

“How lucky I am to have something that makes saying goodbye so hard.”

“Some people care too much. I think it's called love.”

“How do you spell 'love'?" - Piglet
"You don't spell it...you feel it." - Pooh”

“Sometimes,' said Pooh, 'the smallest things take up the most room in your heart.”

“One of the advantages of being disorganized is that one is always having surprising discoveries.”

“Hallo, Rabbit,” he said, “is that you?”
"Let’s pretend it isn’t,” said Rabbit, “and see what happens.”

I could go on and on! And when I read or think about the quotes, I hear them in Pooh or Piglet's voices. Yeah, I am weird!

Jack said...

Someone is sentimental huh. :)