Sunday, April 29, 2012

I Enjoy Change...Mostly


Two posts in one day. How unusual for me. Must relate back to my delirium due to lack of sleep. Maybe I’ve forgotten I already wrote one. 

OR maybe I’ve finished with all my important Sunday “to-do’s” like church, the big paper, a movie, total procrastination...no, I still am.

OR just maybe, I wasn’t going to do this at all then some things changed just now that changed my mind. I’m working on my predictability.

This is today’s (Optional) Writing Prompt over at Sunday Stream of Consciousness (All Things Fadra): How do you feel about change? Do you like routine and predictability? Does it bring you comfort or discontent? Talk about it general or tell us a specific story about a big change in your life and how you feel about it.

I have five minutes to do this? Unedited. Words only.

*************************************************

I feel I do very well to exceptional dealing with change. I enjoy change. I find it challenging and I love a good challenge, an opportunity for personal growth and reflection, and a way to participate actively in life. Most changes excite me…of course, I would definitely be speaking of changes of a positive nature. I don’t tend to sit still very often so change suits my personality quite well. I have no need to be in control of everything. I’m very flexible by nature. Change is great in my book.

I have also experienced very difficult and sad changes. The two biggies were the loss of someone extremely important to me and the loss of a major relationship in my life.  These were two tough things for me to wrestle with emotionally. With time I was able to accept, reconcile my feelings and move forward as difficult and as heartbreaking as that was. To this day, I still reflect on both one with joy yet sadness and the other with pure sadness and a bit of anger.



Quite possibly I don’t do as well with small changes. Sometimes small changes frustrate the heck out of  me. Things that make me a little mad.



This change happened today. Look at my favorite shoes. Let’s play the game what is different between these two things.


Yes. Someone ate them including the insole. I bought these purple suede loafers on my birthday in Positano, on the Amalfi Coast, in October. I wear them for some part of every single day. They really mean something to me even though they don’t look like much to anyone else. I’m pissed off. I’m not good at all with this change.

I also don’t care for airlines all that much. Especially when they change my flights and the seats I have paid for with out so much as an email. I heard about it today from a friend and had to hunt down United and rearrange plans that I made two months ago.  I always feel they are trying to pull a fast one. You can not change seats for someone who paid a premium for 9C (okay, I used miles for the upgrade but still...)then put them in 33E, the middle. NOT COOL. Try  speaking with them on the phone and see where that gets you… no where?

I guess it’s not change I necessarily have a problem with. It’s the frustration that goes along with these two in particular today.

6 comments:

Erin O'Riordan said...

I'd be pissed, too, if someone ate my Italian leather shoes. Especially if they were purple. I love purple suede.

Gina said...

Oh, Erin!!! There aren't many physical/material things that mean that much to me, but these! They are memories, friends, perfect days, a beautiful place, and so much more. Plus, they were so well worn. Gross as it is, she loves anything my bare feet have been in for any period of time.

About Last Weekend said...

At university I used to walk different ways all the time just to change things up all the time. These days I make more and more routines which allows me to get stuff done in my spare moments. Im so sorry about your shoes, I have ones I love too.

Gina said...

It used to be much easier to change things up a bit like your walks. Unfortunately it helps to accomplish things by being more structured. I like to feel productive but I DON'T care for constant sameness. I suppose that's where balance comes into play.

Arnebya said...

I change my routes to the bus stop so that the crazies never know where I'm gonna be on any given morning, walking along prior to the sun coming up. I'd be pissed about the shoes too. Hell, I'm pissed for you just looking at them.

Gina said...

You never fail to make me laugh, Arnebya! However, I do agree...safety first. Reminds me of when I lived in the city and would have to park my car many street away. Caused me to park illegally on several occasions which, in turn, caused me to get a "boot" on my tire for # of parking tickets (single girl problems).

Thank you for joining in on my pissy-ness!