Monday, May 23, 2016

It's Monday, May 23, 2016! What Are You Reading? (Insomniac Addition)

Hosted by The Book Date

Don’t you completely hate insomnia? I didn’t fall asleep until after 3:30 a.m. last night. This reminds me of a quote I recently added over at Goodreads.

“Insomnia is his mind's revenge for all the tricky thoughts he has carefully avoided during the daylight hours.” Alain de Botton, The Course of Love 

What have I recently finished?

The Course of Love by Alain de Botton. I have been married for over 27 years, and this book speaks to my me and the loving relationship I have had with a member the opposite sex for longer than that. 

This is my review on Goodreads:

“'If you could read my mind love, what a tale my thoughts could tell.’ Gordon Lightfoot

To me, Alain de Botton, is like this regarding relationships. He reads my mind, and knows my thoughts without knowing me at all. 

This is the long awaited follow up to On Love. That book was insightful. This one is even more so, and I loved it!

If you are a long-time married person, you'll probably concur that he is "spot on”.”

I added a number of quotes from this book on Goodreads as well (all but two shown). I stopped after I realized I was just jamming up my friends’ news feeds. Basically, the entire book should be in quotes!

What am I currently reading?

I am about to finish up Wise Blood by Flannery O’Connor. I am enjoying this in its audio version. Don’t you just love that moment when a title’s meaning is revealed? Don’t we all strive to have “wise blood”?

For my book group, I am on the first chapter of Purity by Jonathan Franzen. I need to hustle my tush with this. It was my book club recommendation as I thought it would make for a perfect, in-depth discussion and we are meeting at the beginning of June!

The Nest by Cynthis D’Aprix Sweeney

What will I read next?

Haven’t a clue. So many books in my house, so little time!

What has your reading week been like?

10 comments:

@CatsandCoffee said...

The Nest is good! Here is the link to my post:
https://coffeeandcatsblog.wordpress.com/

Gina said...

I was enjoying it very much, but had to put it down in order to read the book club book. Ugh! Why did I join a book club? Always sounds great in theory!

https://booksthoughtsadventures.com said...

My reading week has been really busy! If that's the same Nest that I read...I loved it!

Gina said...

Oh, I'm so excited you loved it. I've had it almost since the moment it came out, but other books and things have prevented me from making a serious dent in it.

Unknown said...

On Love was a favorite! I can't wait to read The Course of Love. Excellent picks this week. Enjoy!

Gina said...

Then you will love this one even more! So, so good!

grammajudyb said...

Except for The Nest, 4 titles I have never heard of. Don't you just love being able to see what others are reading and being exposed to books and thoughts that you never encountered in the past! Priceless!

Gina said...

Yes, I love it VERY much! Love the ideas and seeing the beautiful cover art and the additional exposure to all things books!!! Priceless, indeed.

Unknown said...

Have you watched any of Alain de Botton's School of Life episodes on You Tube? They are excellent

Gina said...

I have only seen a few, but that is going to change. I am still thinking about this book incessantly!