Sunday, November 18, 2012

Remember the Time...


Sunday is here and I’m ready for it! Stream of conscious writing happens every Sunday at Jana's Place and I’m happy for that particularly these NaBloPoMo days.

Five minutes to write about what I want without any concern for how it looks or if every word is spelled correctly (but my program corrects without asking me) and left alone after that. So here is my pre-Thanksgiving SOC.


(Courtesy of Butterball.com)

I have had Thanksgiving at my home for 23 of the past 24 years. The only time I didn’t have it was when I brought a newborn home the day before and that was 22 years ago tomorrow. Where does it go that elusive thing called time?

Thanksgiving is my favorite holiday. Hands down.

There are no presents (not a present person). It’s all about sharing a beautiful day with the people to whom you are most close. Simple. And even if you can’t be with everyone you love each and every year, you think about them and give thanks for those sharing your day. We are lucky.

And the best part to me, surprisingly is not the food which is devoured in mere minutes, is the lingering. We spend the day talking. There are so many “Remember the time…”s.

And the best part of all the remembering is that each person recalls the story just a little differently and even if the same story was told last year “Grandma, remember when mom…” “Mom, remember the time..” Dad or Grandpa or…The tale comes out slightly different every year. How can that be? It just does. 

Then there’s my brother, forget about it. He remembers nothing.

That’s what I love about shared story telling and remember whens. Everyone has their own recollection, their own view, and their own side to add. Making up the "complete" story.

The fact that my parents are getting up there and my FIL is sick makes this year’s gathering and storytelling all that more important.

25 comments:

Jamie Miles said...

I agree completely -- though I haven't had Thanksgiving at home for so many years. Though since I've been running in the ATL Thanksgiving Half Marathon for about the last 15 years, that keeps me here. Thanksgiving is my favorite too. The crazienss of Christmas is still a heartbeat away, but it is all just family, food and laughter. And I might be a bit strange but I've gotten to love having the first half of the day to myself. Getting up at 4, driving into Atlanta, running the race, stopping for Starbucks on the way home. Just me and my thankful thoughts.

Kenya G. Johnson said...

I was proud of you last week for writing an SOC without Jana ;-)

I love storytelling gatherings - that part isn't ever planned, it just so wonderfully happens. Enjoy yours!

a.eye said...

I love family get togethers! And Thanksgiving is usually the only time we are all together.

The stories, the stories, the stories. Only thing almost as good are the great desserts!

a.eye said...

I, too, thought that was great last week!

Azara said...

Shared storytelling is my favourite part of any family get-together. I think that's why I like Christmas the best - because it's the holiday that everyone is there for. The other ones are hit and miss for attendance.

Michael Di Gesu said...

HI, Gina,

SO nice to meet you. I live in Chicago as well. I enjoy meeting other Chicago writers.

Thanksgiving is a great holiday. I always loved it too. It's such a shame that this holiday gets rolled over so quickly to get to Christmas.

When my parents were alive and growing up, we had the exact Thanksgivings that you are speaking about. It's been long since I have experienced this, but I do remember those times with great affection. I am glad that you have the cherished memories every year.

I read you previous post and I enjoyed your poetic prose.I will look forward to getting to know you better.

Have a GREAT THANKSGIVING!

Jack said...

Yeah, this is the sort of Thanksgiving that I love too. Something to look forward to, a time to gather reflect, respect and recollect.

Miz Yank said...

Thanksgiving is my favorite, too! Like you said, the food is just a foil for the really tasty stuff: the gathering. I may have to steal your 5 minute SOC idea! Happy Thanksgiving!

christina said...

i'm not a present person either

Dana said...

I haven't had a Thanksgiving with my family in 20+ years. Reading your post made me smile as it brought back such similar memories. Thank you!

Gina said...

That's what I really love about it...family, food, fun without presents. I totally understand how you would love having the first part of the day to yourself. I usually send the family and in-laws out for a movie in the mid-morning so I can have some time to get things going and watch the Macy's Thanksgiving Day Parade. Go Rockettes!

Gina said...

I kept waiting for the link to go up so I did it anyway. I would miss it on a Sunday if I didn't do that.

We just sit around and talk for hours. I don't do any real clean up until everyone leaves because I'd rather talk with them. Enjoy your week, Kenya!

Gina said...

I'm glad you all get together then. Are you going back to STL? Our two families have lots of stories. Oftentimes they get repeated and repeated. No one seems to mind but they do change a little year to year. It's important that we drag every last story out of our parents because no one is getting younger.

Gina said...

Me too! We are reverse. Thanksgiving brings a mini-crowd here. Christmas tends to be a little more spread out.

Gina said...

I will not even acknowledge Christmas until AFTER Thursday. Then I need a little time before I haul out the holly and stuff.

There will be a time in the not too distant future that our parents might not be with us and that breaks my heart. We're trying to spend as much time with them now as possible. We have wonderful memories of time together.

Thanks for reading. And I love comments so feel free to leave one when the spirit moves you.

Have a wonderful holiday season as well!

Gina said...

I like your three "R"s!

Gina said...

Happy Thanksgiving too, Miz! It's simple. The menu doesn't change. It's all yummy and we are all dressed in jeans or comfy clothes. It's the perfect set up for a great day.

Gina said...

I enjoy giving gifts tremendously. I appreciate any present I receive. They just aren't necessary for me. I'm glad to see I'm not the only one.

Gina said...

Your welcome. Thanksgiving = Family and I'm really, really lucky there. I'm glad you have fond memories and that this gave you a smile. Have a wonderful week, Dana!

Stacie @ Snaps and Bits said...

How wonderful! I hope you have another fantastic Thanksgiving!

Ginny Marie said...

That story telling around the table is so precious! At my grandma's 90th birthday party, I videotaped some of the stories...and I'm so glad I did! Have a wonderful Thanksgiving!

Gina said...

Thanks, Stacie! I hope yours is wonderful, too!

Gina said...

That is a great idea. New things come up all the time and I think I'd heard them all. Happy Thanksgiving, Ginny!

a.eye said...

So true about the parents!

I leave Thursday morning for STL. Excited! I'll wave to you as the plane passes the Chi.

Gina said...

I'm excited for you to go back home! Have a fantastic visit. Please do wave and as I putting Tom in the oven, I'll glance up and wave back!