Friday, February 24, 2017

A Programming Break Stream of Consciousness


It’s been an exceedingly long time since I have had a weekend evening to myself. Tonight’s the night.

I just paused the last episode of “This is Us”, which I missed due to underwater vacationing, (Do you watch it, too? I cry absolutely every episode thinking, “These people really love each other.”), so I could yell this from the mountaintop.

“I HAVE THE WHOLE FREAKING EVENING TO MYSELF!!!”

[When you are an empty-nester, you have precious little time away from your spouse, and particularly on the weekend. It’s all good and fine. I miss him when he’s gone. But occasionally, just sometimes, you need a reprieve from the Love Train, control of the remote, and a break from male-oriented or compromised entertainment choices. ] 

Here’s what I intend to do:

  1. Push “Play” to restart “This is Us”. I am about halfway through.
  2. Pour a glass of wine.
  3. Watch the first two episodes of “Girls”. It’s the final season!
  4. Order a sausage and onion topped with lightly dressed arugula pizza.
  5. Pour another glass of wine.
  6. Eat half a pizza.
  7. Watch the first two episodes of “Big Little Lies”. Is it good? I am intrigued by the cast and it is one Liane Moriarty book I have not read.
  8. Walk the dog.
  9. Bedtime routine.
  10. Snuggle up in bed with Lincoln in the Bardo by George Saunders. I am meeting him next Thursday and I really want to have it finished by then.
  11. Lights out. Should be after midnight by then.
Yes, I understand this all sounds like a snoozefest. I am boring. At least some of the time. Did you not know this?


Have a wonderful Friday night however you are spending it!!!

No comments: