Sunday, April 26, 2015

Stream of Consciousness Sunday- Are Poems a Better Cure Than Wine?

Yes, it is Sunday and I didn't even need to check the calendar. I can always tell because I hear the [thwack] of the big paper as it hits the door. Time again for Stream of Consciousness Sunday. The rules are simple! Set a timer for five minutes, write (but don't edit), publish, and link up here. This is what I have to say today even though I really wanted to say something completely different to begin with...


***********************************

I could spend these next five minutes wallowing or ranting. I want to. It would be super easy too. It has been the kind of weekend that’s filled with nothing but worsening news. Horrible.

And my sleeping buddy is out of town. And I wanted to relish it in solitude. And planned to eat a million things, and everything, bad for me. 

My covers. 
My remote. 
My ice cream.

Instead I am not sleeping well, fielding disturbing text messages, and never made it to the store to buy the bad stuff. It is after noon; I could turn to wine.

But I have this collection of poetry next to me. It is the first time I have ever read one. It somehow makes me feel lighter just holding it. Is it magic?

It is so lovely. My heart seems in a constant state of pitter-pattering flutter as my eyes sip the words. It is like a feast of fine chocolate. A word buffet. Of too many good things. And my spirits is soaring.

I am usually a very impulsive person. If I love something, I devour it. But I am using every ounce of restraint I have to eat this up slooooowly. Savor. Taste. 

Read each poem. 
Go back. 
Take more in. 
Feel it.
More.

If it weren’t for this book, these poems, I don’t know what I would have done this weekend. There isn’t any wine in the house. I didn't get to the store.
Which works better for you? Wine or poems?

6 comments:

Kenya G. Johnson said...

Interesting. You know I haven't really sat down and read poetry like cover to cover as an adult. I use to all the time when I was in middle and high school. Going to the library I would head straight for the poetry sections. I'd have to try again to give you an answer. But since I rarely have any alone time, I'm going to say the wine.

Unknown said...

Wow. I don't drink wine but I do like poetry. I am glad that the poems are working for you today. We all have those days and it is good to find something that helps.

Nicole said...

Love this, and poetry is good for the psyche and the waistline ... double win.
If poetry can make you happy, that you can take these words and have them feed your heart and whisper sweet nothings to your soul .. you are set. <3

Gina said...

Wine is my usual "go to" too!

Gina said...

Yes, it is! It also helped that it was only noon and too early, even for me, to make the turn to wine. It was enough, the book. I felt lighter when all I wanted to do was weigh a ton.

Gina said...

I've just tonight discovered that poetry, chocolate AND wine go very well together. Some might say outstanding! I do!