Tuesday, January 10, 2012

I Knew What I Wanted When


This post was prompted by Write on Edge. ----This week we’d like you to write a memoir piece about an unfulfilled goal or a broken resolution, beginning with the words, “I knew what I wanted."

I made my first trip to Hogar de Ninos Nazareth, an orphanage in Comayagua, Honduras, eight years ago. I absolutely knew I wanted to keep returning for as long as it took to see the children I’d met become adults. I also knew it was important to learn their language so I could communicate with them, in the future, when coloring and sign language no longer worked for the “tricky” conversations.

After my third visit to the Hogar and failing to retain much Espanol year to year (it takes practice), I asked for Rosetta Stone Central American Spanish as the big gift on my Christmas list. This was the same year I promised several important people I would return to them knowing conversational Spanish!

The back-story is I have two Goddaughters and many, many young friends who live at the Hogar. I visit them for a week every year in June through an organization called All God's Children. I wanted to better communicate with them as they entered into their very critical teen years as domestic violence is prevalent and education the way to a better life. They are all so incredibly bright. The children are enrolled in the best schools available in Comayagua and are learning English at a rapid rate, (speaking, reading and writing). Even the kindergarteners!



                                             
(Photos: Ester and me, Johanna-God daughter and Candi, Juana-God daughter and Miguel)

So entering into 2012, I'm yet again the lame one as the orphans out learned their Godmother four years in a row! Not the way I planned it. I also promised them!

I really wish I knew what I wanted a long, long time ago and stuck with Spanish when I was younger because it’s tough as heck to learn now. I also wish I would have started Rosetta Stone months ago (or four years ago) because June with be here before I’m ready! 


18 comments:

Unknown said...

I feel the same way about learning spanish, I wish I had stuck with it when I was younger and it was easier to learn it.

Anonymous said...

I absolutely LOVE the two girls leaping into the air. That's a great picture. What do you think of Rosetta Stone? I'm at an extremely basic level of spanish, and I'd really like to learn how to 'hear' the language, because that's when I'll actually be able to speak it. I want to travel (someday) and I'd like to use this kind of program - but I would love to hear real people's experiences to know whether a given program works or not!

Gina said...

Julia, Thanks for visiting me! They teach me a ton while I'm there thinking I'm funny. The minute I set foot on the plane, it flies out of my pea sized brain!

Gina said...

Jesterqueen, I haven't started RS yet. Damn it! However, from what I've read and heard, it is supposed to be the best program. The government (supposedly) uses it for training in languages. Practice is the key. I went to Costa Rica a year and a half ago and asked the waiters to only speak to me in Spanish for five days. It was challenging but helped. Time to break out the program then I will let you know after I have completed the first part.

Thanks for reading!

Anonymous said...

How great that you have been able to return! And the nice thing about the goal of learning Spanish, even though currently unfulfilled, is that you can make that up whenever you're ready!

Gina said...

I've gotten pretty decent at "Spanglish", Amy. I'm bound and determined since more than my family knows about this shortcoming now!

Kathleen Basi said...

But don't give up yet!

Gina said...

Never, Kathleen! Thanks for reading my post!

katie eggeman said...

I can't believe how much Serbian vocabulary I have learned from my 3 year old grandson, we will be going with him to Serbia this year or next when His baby brother needs to be christened. I was thinking of getting rosetta stone. I would love to understand SIL's mother w/o a translator as we talk together about our grandsons. Probably, never happen.

Nancy C said...

You know what I took away from this? Incredible inspiration for your obvious love and compassion for these kids. And that love shows, without language.

Gina said...

Banker Chick, It's all about practicing and you are. Rosetta Stone would help I'm sure or you could try "Serblish" as you continue to learn from your grandson. It does go a long way!

Gina said...

You know what, Nancy, you're right. We love each other without speaking. It's about my consistency in their lives...going every year, at the same time. They count on it, we all look forward to it, and we find ways. Last June, they gave me a makeover with their "bootleg" makeup (not supposed to have it). When my compadres saw me they said, "Going out tonight?" Not sure how they know this stuff. Teenagers?

angela said...

I absolutely love this post; your passion for these kids is so obvious, and you are just radiant in the picture with Esther.

My husband's cousin lives in Hondurus and teaches at a school there. She loves it beyond words.

Gina said...

Angela, I tried to leave you a comment after reading your post. Your dude is preeeeecious! I remember reading "Go Dog Go" until everyone in the family knew every word. We loved the picture in the tree at the end! I miss those times more than words can describe. It goes fast.

You go, girl! Keep up your running whenever you can and keep challenging yourself to run farther than I ever have (the "half"). Sometimes, it keeps us moms sane.

Where does your husband's cousin teach? Tegucigalpa, the capital? Most do. I love it there and have always envisioned a life there...but reality struck!

Madeleine said...

I think it's amazing that you visit these kids every year. Don't feel bad about the language - the important thing is that you are trying. They will appreciate that!

As for them learning English so quickly, they have youth on their side. I can say that safely, from the experience I have as an adult ESL teacher, and also seeing how rapidly my daughter is picking up Korean in the bilingual school programme she's currently in.

Anyhow, keep up the awesome work with those kids!

Alexandra said...

You can do it.

First, get free newspapers in Spanish and read them.

Next, have univision on throughout the day.

Train your ear and try to understand.

You can do it.

Gina said...

MJ, I should have taken Spanish, not French, in high school. I can read some of it better than speak or understand verbally. They talk so fast. Love those kids like my own!

Gina said...

Empress,

I've heard it helps to watch the Spanish soaps. Never have tv on during the day so maybe I can have it on in the background when home or just take time out each day to watch and listen. Great idea with the newspaper too.

I'm gonna get this!