Tuesday, July 31, 2012

What's Normal?: Trifecta


Being home (Chicago home) for a few days for the first time since the middle of June inspired this Trifecta response for:

1: a : a normal line  
    b : the portion of a normal line to a plane curve between the curve and the x- axis 
2: one that is normal 
Please remember:
                Your response must be between 33 and 333 words.
                You must use the 3rd definition of the given word in your post.
                The word itself needs to be included in your response.
You may not use a variation of the word; it needs to be exactly as stated above. 

*****************************************
Everything about this place is normal.

Some would consider it better than normal or even absolutely fantastic; the town in which I live.

It is full of perfectly normal families who drive in brand new SUVs with a sparkling sedan parked in the garage.

Young, pretty mothers walk children to school, toddlers in tow hanging onto the dog’s leash. They greet each other fondly and wave at every passerby on their way to Starbucks or tennis.

Handsome husbands briskly walk to the train, briefcase and newspaper in hand, for their daily commute to the city oftentimes running down my street to insure being on the “right” side of the tracks as the 6:53 is heard passing. Their families, on the benches by the tracks, anxiously await their return train home.

The schools are brand new; the district highly regarded. Taxes are high, of course. 


And the lawns are double cut on the diagonal. Flowers bloom spring, summer and fall.

Everything about this place is bright and cheery and utterly normal.

I’ve heard our village called “Mayberry” and even “Stepford” a time or two. I think “Mayford” works better than “Stepberry”. I believe it’s more than a little bit true, too.

But The Doings comes out weekly including the Police Blotter and that's when you begin seeing chinks in the armor. The really normal side of normal emerges. The stuff you cannot hide.

And as for me.

I look and act perfectly normal.

I speak about normal things. Have normal friends who do normal things.

I raised normal children.

Yet….

It’s as if, at times, you can see my paint peeling and it’s possible to chip some of me away to see deeper inside. That’s where you’ll find me.

I’m more quirky and outlandish. Slightly wacky and weird. Not as I appear.

Sometimes, I just feel like flying my freak flag. But I’d probably make the paper and people would talk in my small and normal village.

Do I really care? 

28 comments:

TMWHickman said...

I generally have to tone down my tendency toward odd behavior at work, but at home I just let it all hang out, and that includes going out in the mornings to get the paper in my jammies! I gotta be me!

Gina said...

And the answer to my rhetorical question is... Nope! Don't care. I go out in my jammies for the paper too but sprint down and back sometimes. Maybe after twenty years here, people are just used to me. This thought came about as I approached my house today.

Whispering Thoughts said...

I like the tone of the article.

Tessa said...

Glad to see that the town isn't just plain old "normal" and has some chinks. I would be suspicious otherwise LOL! Nice job!

Anonymous said...

You must like your neighbourhood or you'd moved to another, I assume. :)

Gina said...

Thanks, BA!

Gina said...

There is a group we even call The Real Housewives of CH. The kids still get in trouble, stuff happens, and I try to stay out of the way. Now the village right next door? They pretend a whole lot more which sets them up big time for the fall.

Gina said...

Once your kids are settled and there is no job reason to move, you don't because it becomes easier to stay. Actually putting the house on the market next spring since the kids are away at school and we're getting out of "Mayford"...to escape the taxes.

lumdog2012 said...

Your writing has such a nice, even flow, which makes for an easy read. I love the statement: "...the lawns are double cut on the diagonal." Your attention to ironic details really enhance the piece. I enjoyed this.

Anonymous said...

That is a painful amount of normal. Nice amenities, but what a price to pay!

Anonymous said...

Great description of what normal means, normal can only ever be a facade, an effort to blend in because we're all so different. :)

Gina said...

Thanks, Lumdog. You picked up on all the irony! It's this lovely perfect place that's not so perfect but some here don't live in reality!

Gina said...

It's far too normal and very homogenous but a great and safe place to raise kids. We came from the grit of the city prior so may head back soon.

Gina said...

Our differences make the world go 'round! It seems a facade at times but only until the local paper comes out every Thursday!

lumdog2012 said...

Security and satisfaction of basic needs drive a lot of our decisions, for good reason. Libbys Planning Blog has a great post talking about this issue.

lumdog2012 said...

I love irony!

Gina said...

I will google that blog. It was good for the kids but now they are ready to move on as well. We stayed in one spot far too long. That's ok. Everyone's up for an adventure now!

Gina said...

Me too!!!! Very tongue in cheek as well!

lumdog2012 said...

Yes. I know. I just moved downtown and I love living in a condo.

Gina said...

We're figuring it out. I didn't know you were a Chicago guy. That's awesome. Love the city and miss it very much!

Trifecta said...

I think there are chinks everywhere, some are just more visible than others. If only letting your freak fly didn't land you in the paper. Although those blotters are pretty fun to read.
Thanks for linking up with us again this week. Please come on back for the new challenge on Friday.

Anonymous said...

"Flying my freak flag" made me chuckle. You should do something to shake things up around there :)

lumdog2012 said...

I'm sorry. That was confusing. I live in Florida. My downtown isn't as big as Chicago's. Lol! My mother is from Chicago, though.

Gina said...

The Police Blotter in the local is almost worth the buck it costs. Some really funny, and not so funny, stuff goes down. Kids get in trouble a lot. It's a pretty common sentiment with moms around here "Please don't let my kid end up in The Doings unless it's for sports or academics".

Gina said...

I have been know to when I go out. I have a "Frack" to which I am her "Frick" and we stir things up plenty. I wonder why we don't have many friends (kidding)?

Gina said...

I'd love to live downtown again (gotcha on the FLA location). It's beautiful and the life going on all around you is stunning! Well then, I like your mother. People from Chicago rock (typically)!

Sandra said...

I like this piece a lot, Gina. The train part reminds of the movie, 'She's Having a Baby', which is also shot in the burbs of Chicago. Mayford, yes. Freak flag in Mayford, even better. Love your honesty underneath all that chipping paint.

Gina said...

Sandra, the panic on their faces as they're running and breaking a sweat in suits is pretty funny. If I'm heading out for coffee and I know the guy, I'll give him a lift. Mayford is a pretty place albeit not completely real and I'm glad you understood it's portrayal. Thanks!