Friday, March 16, 2018

Who doesn’t love to laugh? Five Minute Friday


There are nine people who I believe actually get my sense of humor. Yes, I counted prior to starting these five minutes and those 30 seconds will not be included. Not sorry.
The interesting thing is only one I see daily. The rest are essentially long distance. But it’s the kind of distance that takes a split second to cross. They’ve always been in exactly the same place they always were. There. No need to question.

These people make me feel good. No matter what. And who doesn’t just love these kind of people so hard?

We can start a conversation down in the dumps, talking about something very seriously wrong about life, about us, about someone we care deeply about, and then something makes us laugh or one of us says something, usually inappropriate considering the context of the conversation but soothing nonetheless and somehow it feels perfectly right. Again.

Laughter, aside from the random, funny stuff we all see on the internet or the unexpected events during the usual course of life and for me, comes from comfort. Am I comfortable enough with this person to be vulnerable, quirky and oftentimes irreverent?  Are they comfortable enough with me to let their words flow without judgement? This is the magic place where uninhibited laughter happens. Those are the times I laugh the hardest.

There are nine of you.

**********************************


This was a Stream of Consciousness Friday post. It's the Week 3, of the old school blogging, prompt for the Finish the Sentence Friday writing community co-hosted by Kenya Johnson right here and Kristi Campbell of Finding Ninee. This week we set a timer and wrote for 5 minutes on the optional prompt "Laughter".

Hoping today, while still early, is filled with a few funny moments. Not sure my class in American Art History this afternoon will spawn any giggles, but you never know, right? Here’s to hoping for the unexpected. Cheers!

17 comments:

Vickie said...

It's great when you have someone (or nine) who get it and you

Janine Huldie said...

I have also been blessed to have more than a few who got my sense of humor. A few, including my own grandfather are no longer with us. But still so thankful that someone like him, who was indeed very special got me and my sense of humor in this lifetime ;)

Kenya G. Johnson said...

I counted six off the top of my head - who I feel I can express myself crazy laughter and all without inhibition. Glad you wrote and linked up ;-)

Kristi Campbell said...

Nine is good. I can only think of about half that. But wow, the laughs are GOOD with them, so good. I'm happy you linked up with Finish the Sentence!

Clark Farley said...

wonder if thats (an) increasing phenom (wouldn't doubt it)... the numbers of people I can touch when I talk to versus the number of people I lean out the virtual window and yell over to; the former on the decrease, the latter way on the up-swing.
what an interesting future this is.

Mardra said...

Yes - finding those people who both truly "get" you and also truly "let" you is most beautiful. Great FTSF reflection. <3

Josh said...

9 is a good number, unless you are talking about the Nazgul. ;)

Pat B said...

This is such an interesting thing to consider. . .the number of people who truly "get" your sense of humor and make you feel good, and hopefully we do the same for them. Being comfortable enough to be vulnerable and real opens the door to real and lasting friendships where humor and laughter can reside.

Gina said...

Sorry, All, for the delay in response. Life, because two of my nine needed as much attention as I could provide.

I would walk to the ends of the earth for them.

Gina said...

I LOVE it!

Gina said...

There’s more than six, I’m sure, Kenya! My favorite form of low pressure writing especially when I am completely out of practice!

Gina said...

Nine, I feel, it a pleasant number. With life as challenging as it can be, finding anything to laugh about, even the tiniest thing, releases a pressure valve. At least for me.

Gina said...

It is interesting to see how this “reality” has mostly taken the place of real human connection. I don’t do much social media if I can help it. Zero time on Facebook. I’m trying to pick up the phone more, albeit cell not a landline. Also attempting to meet up more with friends.

Gina said...

Thanks. How it hasn’t changed over the years! These are all people I’ve known for years. Maybe I feel safer that way. Wait, there’s one new one in the nine who I met when I moved back to the city. Then again, I feel like I’ve known her forever!

Gina said...

Wow! I haven’t read LOTR in years. Had to look up “Nazgul”!

Gina said...

You are right, Pat. It’s all about comfort and being able to be vulnerable. Or too much so?

Dana @ Kiss my List said...

Hmmm... I'd have to think about my number. It's a good one, I know. But the most important one is the guy I married. Laughing together is one of the keys to staying together, I think! Hope your art history class was giggly. ;)