Friday, June 8, 2012

“To The Moon…”

We used the phase "To the moon..." daily when our children were growing up.

Mommy said it in one fashion; Daddy in another.

For me, “To the Moon…” began when they were babies in their cribs.

As I brushed my hand along soft cheeks, I would lean over whispering in their ears, “I love you to the Moon and back.” The covers tucked and animals properly arranged, we’d squeeze each other tightly.


As time passed, I’d see their little minds’ wheels spinning and noses crinkled deep in thought.

“Mommy, that’s a long way”, she’d say.

“It is a long way, baby doll. As long as it would take to get there and back, that big wide sky, that’s how long and as much as I’ll love you. Forever.”

“Would we go together?”, he’d ask.

We’ll go everywhere together, pal; for the rest of our lives. You will never be without me and I will never be without you. No matter where you go or what you do, look up at the moon and know that I’m standing under the exact same one loving you.

“I like that, Mommy.”, they both said.

Now, the opportunities to tuck them in are few and far between but I steal them. We still love those quiet moments. And the sleepy hugs…..

Daddy started saying “To the Moon…” when they were about 3 and 5.

When our children were little, The Honeymooners reruns were on at 10:00pm every night just after FOX News. Falling into bed from pure exhaustion as most parents do, Daddy would watch while I read. Something about the slapstick and silly, simple humor (maybe his roaring laughter?) pulled me away from my book. We'd snuggle up close and relished the mindless break from everything.


That’s when, “To the Moon…” became “Dad speak” in just about every frustrating situation one might experience with a rambunctious, gregarious, charming, somewhat naughty three year old.

Let me tell you, Daddy had the move down.

Sometimes, it was “Bang Zoom…To The Moon.” Arm flinging up and out, pointing on the diagonal directly at the moon.

Other times, it was “To the Moon, Matthew!!!”

Matt would giggle saying, “No, Daddy, No!” He'd turn and run leading his Dad in a chase all over the house, up and down the stairs.


I can guarantee, Dad was probably hot about something but he never showed it. Patient man. It became silly fun and whatever the situation, it melted away.

As Matt got older and smarter (smart-alecky-er?), he’d say, “Daddy, you can’t do that.”

Dad would flex his muscle and say straight-faced,  “Would you like to try me?”

“Yes!” and the running and laughing and wrestling would begin…again.

Obviously, both ways this phrase was used were meant with extreme affection.

One was a mother’s expression of deep and never ending love for her children. The other was a father’s way to defuse and lighten many stressful and frustrating situations.

We remember “To the Moon, Alice!” quite fondly over here.

22 comments:

TMWHickman said...

Awwww! So precious! I am glad that your family has those very powerful memories to treasure. This was nicely done.

Lindy Phippen Smith said...

So sweet. I was tempted to write something personal for this prompt as well, "I love you to the moon and back." You took the words right out of my mouth. I loved how mom and dad both said it in a different way, and yet it held the same meaning.

Gina said...

Thank you! I look back at that time, when they were little, with incredible fondness. It was one of the happiest times our family had together. As they get older, the stress level get soooooo much higher. I find myself dreaming back to those days. Now, they're pretty easy again...except the rambunctious, charming and still naughty boy!

Gina said...

They had their own ways and they still do! Sweet times, for sure!

About Last Weekend said...

This brings back wonderful memories of reading my kids this book, my eldest used to say The Mooona. My husband is also so patient and turn most exasperations into the chasing game.

Gina said...

My daughter had "Goodnight, Moon" memorized by age 3. I was the page turner as she told the story to me. Love "The Mooona", too! Always have!

He has buckets full, for the children and for me. Sometimes too much ;-) We all tend to be handfuls. I, on the other hand, just manage in the patience dept. Certainly a weakness.

Anonymous said...

Beautiful moments. :)

Anonymous said...

Very sweet. My brother used to sneak out of bed to watch that show after the 11:00 news. It's an odd choice for a 6 yo, but he was a huge fan of Norton.

renae said...

hi there, I'm joining your blog as a follower, because I like how your write. I'm not a writer, but I enjoy it. I found you thru AnnMarie at momto8blog. Hope to read more of your style - which is GOOD over here more. :D

Shelton Keys Dunning said...

Sweet. I love this post. Well done!

Gina said...

They were!

Gina said...

6 years old? Too funny. Great show!

Gina said...

Welcome, Renae! I hope I can continue to entertain you. I appreciate you liking my writing.

Gina said...

Thank you, Shelton!

dontpanic2011 said...

What a great way of showing mulitple meanings to that phrase! Those must have been heartwarming moments indeed. One minor piece of concrit (gotta love how spell check works sometimes!) - in the first sentence you have "phase" instead of "phrase" - unless it was intentional with the whole moon theme. Beautiful job.

Jenn said...

This was so sweet. Thank you for sharing some precious memories with us.

Tessa said...

Very nice and well written. Funny before this writing prompt I had never heard "I love you to the moon and back." Or if I did I had forgotten it.

Gina said...

Thanks, Wisper. You are correct to correct my speedy fingers or auto correct. Should be "phrase".

Gina said...

Precious to me too. Thanks, Jenn.

Gina said...

I'm amazed when I read other blogs and discover phrases I never had heard of before. Love that! Thanks for liking.

Anonymous said...

That is such an amazing story. I love the two phrases - same but so different.

Gina said...

And both meant with equal amounts of love!