Monday, June 4, 2012

A Hung Jury

It needs to be unanimous and it’s not.

So I’m off to do ropes and stairs in search of clarity, wisdom and understanding. But first I need to download a song.

I heard it yesterday blaring from my daughter’s bathroom as she was swaying to the music and fixing her long hair. (She asked me if she should wear it straight or curly with the dress she carefully chose for a party. The very minute I said straight it was trumped by a text from “the boyfriend” who loves it curled. Things change.)

I paused by her door, as she worked, and just listened. I listened intently to the words the minute I understood their meaning.

I’m not a country fan (at all) but I am forced to listen when she’s home. Okay, I’ll admit it grows on you if you let it and there’s no way to help but hear it through the walls. So just now, onto my iPod it went.


I have this feeling it's going to be a ice cream for lunch kind of day.

********************************************
Front Porch Looking In 
by Lonestar
(An excerpt)
The only ground I ever owned was sticking to my shoes
Now I look at my front porch and this panoramic view
I can sit and watch the fields fill up
With rays of glowing sun
Or watch the moon lay on the fences
Like that's where it was hung
My blessings are in front of me
It's not about the land
I'll never beat the view
From my front porch looking in

I see what beautiful is about
When I'm looking in
Not when I'm looking out
******************************************


We have a big front porch where we spend a lot of time. The couches go out in April and remain until November. There's a swing on either end. 

It’s a peaceful place where we talk, read, relax and observe as the world passes by our view. We sip coffee, wine, and Arnold Palmers. Friends stop by for a chat if they're walking by and see us.

It's also a place where we've had great and difficult heart-to-hearts with each other...every combination of the four of us and all together. This weekend, the four of us (plus Ellie and Addy) spent hours there in the gorgeous weather...

Discussing, pondering, listing
laughing, crying,
reasoning, arguing, deciding.

6 comments:

About Last Weekend said...

Funny to be trumped by the boyfriend...What a great poetic few word about the times with your kids

Gina said...

Funny for her because she doesn't listen to ANY boy. She must really like him and I know she does. Very sweet kid.

I wish it were so poetic. It was many discussions trying to decide what to do about Ellie, our 14 year old Lab. As a matter of fact, she hasn't gotten up yet today. Sad really.

TMWHickman said...

I want a porch like that! We are working on it...

Gina said...

It could be my favorite room in the house. I hope it works out for you. You'd love it!

Maureen Stevens said...

Adore porches!So many memories that space holds!

Gina said...

I agree. For us, it is truly a special place. Peaceful and comfortable.