Friday, June 22, 2012

Sunset at the Lake


Some people CAN really fly.

People experience things differently.

Some only watch as the world spins all around them.

Others actively take part and pursue what it has to offer.

 Sometimes, I do both but prefer one over the other.

Last night was a splendid example of such.

I experienced passion and beauty 

as I watched this boy gracefully plunge into the water at sunset.

It was the perfect setting,

on a perfect night,

and this perfectly orange sunset possessed and captivated me.


I couldn't tear my eyes away.


********************************************************************

For Friday, a short challenge from Write On Edge. Below are three fairly generic passive phrases. Your goal is to make them active in a short scene, either fiction or non-fiction. You can choose one, two, or all three to play with, but you only have 100 words.
1.[he/she/I] was devastated by [...]
2.[feeling] was experienced by [...]
3.[person/thing] was possessed by [...]

18 comments:

Barbara said...

Hi Gina - great take on the prompt, it really creative a mood!

One thing though: part of the prompt was to take the passive and make it active. And to continue writing in the active tense throughout.

So instead of
"Passion and beauty were experienced by me,"
you want
"I experienced passion and beauty"

Gina said...

Thanks for the suggestion, Barbara and I agree!

Kenya G. Johnson said...

Excellent Gina. I looked for your line and I'm stopping by after the suggestion and correction. Great advice from Barbara and I love the picture you found to go with your writing.

Gina said...

Thanks, Kenya. Works better that way.

That's Matthew, my son, in the picture taken on Wednesday night.

TMWHickman said...

That picture is full of possibilities! I loved your take on the prompt, as usual. You're a great writer!

Gina said...

Thanks, Tina! You're so nice to me.

Shelton Keys Dunning said...

Ooh lovely and serene. I couldn't tear away either. Well done!

Kathleen Basi said...

I can see why you were captivated!

Kenya G. Johnson said...

Wow. Now my suggestion is to put a caption under that photo. That makes it even more powerful. I got goosebumps when I read it again. That is absolutely beautiful. Who took the photo?

Gina said...

My husband is an awesome photographer and that was taken in that quick speed with multiple shutters per second. That was his fourth dive. We started as the sun was setting and that was at just about the last moment. PRICELESS! For a Mom, of course.

Whispering Thoughts said...

You have brought out the beauty of the moment so well.

Gina said...

Thanks. And I won't until the end of August!

Gina said...

Thanks, Kathleen. i truly was.

Gina said...

Well thanks, Bubbling Arroyo! I gave it a shot!

Anonymous said...

nice one gina!

Gina said...

Thank you, habibadanyal!

dontpanic2011 said...

A beautifully written piece to go with an amazing photograph. I agree - put on there that it's your son!! Great job.

Gina said...

Thank you Wisper. I will put it on there. It's a sweet picture.