Friday, June 8, 2012

Three Times Asked

If I'm writing on a Friday or Saturday, I have a reason...IN-LAWS and I'm hiding!


*************************


My Italian heritage is well known amongst my friends. And that’s why he was nervous.

“My dad loves you. It’ll be easy.”

“Ya, right!”

Four eyes peeking out the window, my mother’s and mine, we watched as they got up from the table and walked away. Where in the world?

Anticipating an eventual return and being in on the secret for days, my mom said, “Let’s get it ready.”

“Oh Gawwwd, I sure hope so.”

My dad and new fiancé walked through the door forty-five minutes later. “Carol, is the champagne ready?” Phewwwwww!

“Sweetheart, may I speak with you in my study.” Giddy from champagne, I wondered what was on his mind.

“Your mother and I love him. He’s all the man a father could want for his daughter. It’s the first time I've truly seen this in you, too. Are you certain?” My father loves deeply but is realistic as well.

“Yes.” I replied.

“I’ll ask you again, for it's better to be completely sure than know in your heart it’s a mistake.”

“Ok, Daddy.” I grin.

On my wedding’s eve, pulling me into a big hug he whispered. “Are you certain?”

Eyes sparkling and cheeks flushed from a wonderfully sentimental night. “Yes, Dad. I am.”

With uncommonly spectacular weather for mid-March in Chicago, the procession traveled slowly from their house to the city and LSD* proved nearly impossible to traverse. The first beautiful day on the lakefront and traffic was backed up for two miles. Why didn’t he choose the Kennedy? I could run faster than this.

Approaching the church in tears and 35 minutes late, Father Speiss opened the limo door saying, “Child, he’s waiting for you.”

With no time to wipe my makeup streaked face before rushing in, my father grabbed my hand at the end of the aisle and for the last time said, “Sweetheart, are you certain?"

“Dad, I’ve never been more sure of anything in my life! Let’s go!” 


He asked me three times.

********************************

Author’s note: To this day, neither my husband nor father will divulged the content of their 45 minute walk just after he asked for my hand in marriage (From what I surmise it was about “commitment” and the constant work a loving marriage takes but I could be wrong). However, my guy always jokes that a limousine, on the street, secretly met them and the window rolled slowly down….

*Lake Shore Drive


35 comments:

brenda w said...

I love that you still don't know what transpired in that 45 minutes. Great write. Thank you.

susanwritesprecise said...

What a lovely story. Nicely crafted, too!

Peaches Ledwidge said...

The three times did it -- sealed the relationship for sure. Get the details, though.

Gina said...

Can't get it out of either of them! And they both know I don't like secrets so it is occasionally dangled. Not fair!!!

I'm glad they have it for themselves. They have a very special relationship.

Gina said...

I knew my answer wasn't changing and so did my Dad. He just wanted me to be 100% sure down to the wire. Much more co p,icated to get out of after the fact.

I will never be prive. To the details, I'm afraid!

Just Keepin It Real, Folks! said...

WOW, your Dad is a heck of a man. That is awesome!!! My redneck husband never asked my Dad for permission 'cause he never knew he was supposed to. All is forgiven here after 26 years of marriage.

Gina said...

His big thing was commitment. You can get out of it any time beforehand. He's not a big fan of getting out of it after. You've got me beat by 3 years!

Anonymous said...

Lovely!

momto8 said...

glad you were sure!

The Gal Herself said...

Oh, what a great story! "My father loves deeply ..." As Father's Day approaches, I'm seeing more and more tributes to Dad. This is one of the best (which is not to say it didn't satisfy the Trifecta prompt beautifully).

Jester Queen said...

Sounds like your Dad could be quite the intimidating Papa!

Anonymous said...

Great story! I laughed at the joke about the limo driving up and slowly rolling a window down. It would drive me nuts not to know what they discussed during the 45 minutes.

Kenya G. Johnson said...

LOL! Love it. And even though I have read other "Italian heritage" posts of yours I am now giggling about your common name - duh I hadn't made the connection. I don't know anything about my husband and father's conversation either. In fact I wasn't even home for most of it. I was still living at home at 25. I pulled up to the house and saw my husbands car there and I was thinking, "WTH?" My mom met at the door the pull me upstairs. It took my husband forever (probably six months) to propose after that but we did start looking at rings.

Gina said...

Thanks!

Gina said...

Glad I'm still sure, too!

Gina said...

As stern as my dad appeared, he was very much tender hearted. I hadn't evn thought about Father's Day. That's coming soon, right? ;-)

Thanks, Gal!

Gina said...

People that didn't really know him thought so as did I when I was a child. Then, I saw right through him to the big marshmallow he truly is.

Gina said...

Knowing my dad and how he feels about commitment, I'm sure it was about that. Drove me crazy in the beginning but I'm glad they have that secret to themselves.

We Italians, maybe just this Chicago one, get a sassy rap sometimes!

Gina said...

Gina is a bit of a giveaway.

So funny you knew, I'm assuming, that he spoke with your father then it took six months! I don't even ask anymore and I hope my husband has a similar "talk" with my daughter's someday intended as well. He looks back on it fondly and is over the mortifying experience it once was.

Libby said...

Great, beautiful family story all the way around! Although I am so sorry that you were late to the wedding and had to stress :/

Thanks for explaining the LSD too - LOL!

Unknown said...

Beautiful story, beautifully written. I really enjoyed reading this.

Anonymous said...

Magnificent story. I don't know about how every culture does it, but the minute you mentioned the heritage, I felt the protocol was expected ;)

Trifecta said...

That was just lovely. It sounds like you have two amazing men in your life.
Thanks for sharing this with us. Don't forget to come back tomorrow for the new challenge.

barbara said...

I grew up part of a large Irish catholic family - amid Italian and Polish families. I have many fond memories. This is truly lovely, Gina. :)

Kenya G. Johnson said...

Yes, it was "the" talk, though it was never made known. We started looking at rings right away. So my daddy would tease me, "Did you get engaged yet?" I wrote about the ring shopping here http://www.kenyagjohnson.com/blog/2012/2/12/the-ring-the-proposal-and-the-newlyweds.html

To this day, I am not really fond of shopping with my husband for a first look at anything ;-)

Gina said...

It really stunk being that late and not a lick of makeup left on my face but the only thing that mattered to either of us at the time was saying, "I DO".

Gina said...

Thanks!

Gina said...

Oh yeah! Not sure how well it would have gone over if my dad wasn't asked. Just he way it was done in my family.

Gina said...

I DO!

Gina said...

Barbara,

Then you know exactly what I'm talking about. Actually, my family is more Italian but there is a bit of Lithuanian mixed in as well (close to Polish). Thanks for enjoying.

Gina

Gina said...

Your dad sounds really funny. You've told stories of him before. I'll go read the ring shopping post, for sure.

Hahahahaha!!!!!

Erin @Momfog said...

Very sweet story. It would drive me crazy not knowing what they talked about, though!

Anonymous said...

What a great moment! Hope your dad reads this -- bet it'd be a nice gift for Father's Day

Gina said...

Thanks, Erin. It used to drive me crazy. I'm over it now but still ask every now and then just for kicks.

Gina said...

We did talk about it recently. It's funny to hear him tell the story.