Thursday, June 7, 2012

Ten To-Dos For June: I Can Do It!


This is just perfect! It is exactly what I need right this very minute and I’m not saying that sarcastically either.

I DO need a June To-Do list. I haven’t put together a To-Do list in what seems like foreverrrrrrrr! I realize that some of these might border on personally unrealistic and I’m okay with that because I’d rather be stretching than things coming easily.

On purpose, I am sparing the list and all of you those To-Dos (goals) that have to do with my obsession regarding physical fitness. Yes, I am a bit of a whack job in this regard. I have an entirely different list of those.

So I’d like to give a big shout out to Mama Kat for the kick in the butt. It’s much appreciated.

Ten To-Dos for June:

1.    Survive a crazy L.A. wedding weekend- Not as easy as it may seem considering it’s the same besties who traveled together in the fall for my birthday. All I’ll say is some fun comes with a cost. I’m sure we'll be wrung out by the end of it, completely exhausted.

2.    Spend one full day a week reading- And do hardly anything else that day except eat (this will be challenging). My reading has suffered lately. When something you love is missing in your life, it’s painful. I need to make it a priority again. I have three books going. I need to chose one then finish them all. I usually manage one a week and I’d like to get back to that. (I have 4 others lined up and ready to go) BOOK SUGGESTIONS PLEASE!!!

3.    I will commit to putting all portable phones on their bases so at least one in this household works/rings- The only reason this is even on the list is, at the present moment, three handsets are sitting with me next to the computer, none of them have a charge and the phone keeps ringing. Wonder who left them here and didn’t return them to their charge stands? Thank goodness someone was smart enough to keep landlines around here (not me) so we could actually answer the phone.

4.    Swim, bike or run everyday beginning June 19th-. Everything tends to fall by the wayside in the summer as I watch myself get chubbier and rounder (it's quite interesting). No way this time. I’ll be signing up, with my daughter and three friends, for the lake’s annual triathlon. We did it last year and it was a blast but it would've been a whole lot easier if I had trained some (swam not one stroke and ran possibly 10 miles total prior to the race, not good). However, there's always a light at the end of the tunnel …the kegger and hot dog party we throw directly after the last of us crosses the finish line. Now that’s what I call motivation!

5.    Lay off the fried food that they do so well in the state of Indiana- I am obsessed with fried green beans and wasabi dip. The breaded pork tenderloins aren’t too shabby either nor are the french fries. Arms are making an “X” which means NO…Stay Away!

6.    Once a week, make/have a date with each of my children, separately. I haven’t seen them much since they returned from school May 4th except for weekends. Yea!!! for full time jobs but sad that they are living in a different state at the moment. At least they’re together. June 19th changes that!

7.    Play, walk, throw the ball in the water 20X in a row, and snuggle with Addison every day- Addy is our little dog who is all of 75 lbs. which is not so little but she still looks and acts like a naughty puppy.

8.    Clean out two huge junk closets at the lake- They're filled with 50+ years of crap (to the point where it’s dangerous to open the door) and I will not bitch about it, put it off or ask someone else to do it.

9.    Score fantastic tickets to an awesome concert (TBD) for my friends and I- For whatever reason, it seems the majority of events this summer are country oriented. Not a big fan. Quite possibly, I need to step out of my “music” box and attend something I never have in the past. Different is good!

10.                  Resurrect homemade pasta night- We didn’t do it last summer and I don’t recall why but traditionally (or for about 10 straight years) my daughter and I would pick a weekend night, invite all our summer friends over, and prepare pasta made from scratch. I wish I could find the pictures from the last. They’re hysterical. Imagine bathing suits (only a teenager can do this in a string bikini plus the kitchen is HOT), everything completely covered in flour, gravy on the stove with meatballs AND an audience. So, so fun!

There it is. Some will be very easy and others rather difficult. Happy June!

20 comments:

About Last Weekend said...

That LA wedding sounds very fun - I have not been to a wedding in just years. Heading off now to do some swimming, though I find it hard to stay in the pool for more than 30 mins without getting out and ordering from the snack bar!

momto8 said...

happy June...and good luck!!
have fun.

SisterSister said...

good luck in completing your list...I need to be as motivated :)

hi from mk's

Gina said...

I haven't been to one in a looooong time. This will be a blast, on the property of a winery in Malibu. Can't wait.

Swimming is such great exercise! I ran past the public pool this week and the smells out of the snack bar drove me nuts.

You know what I'm trying lately? Stand up paddle boarding. I swear my guys said he wanted one ;-) so I got it. It's really fun and a huge core workout.

Gina said...

Thanks, Annmarie! AHHHHHH summer. I saw your kids are out of school. Have fun with them!

Gina said...

Motivation an issue. Execution...also an issue. We shall see. I find I do better if I "dream big".

I'll come visit you!

ed pilolla said...

i remember when i was a youngster, maybe an early teen, and i started doing things with just my dad or mom. it was a kick! i felt valued in a way i hadn't before. i also like reading for a day. that's a sweet dream you have given me.
50+ years of stuff might mean treasure:)

Gina said...

I love to be with just one at a time (they bicker unendingly). Doesn't happen when they're young because you are always all together. I've had the wonderful opportunity to travel with each alone several times. They make the most splendid travel partners (still have to get accepted into The Amazing Race with my daughter. We'd kick major butt!). Date tomorrow with Matt for lunch and a boat ride. Will be sweet!

Love my reading time. AND 50+ years of stuff = basically dumpster diving in my own house. You never know!

Rachael said...

Those all sound great-I wish I could do #2 and #10 sounds fun too.

TMWHickman said...

I was laughing about the cordless phones! We have the exact same issue. I have no idea where the phones are!

Gina said...

Unfortunately I know exactly where the phones are. Right next to me. It's very well documented on this blog that I'm not trustworthy when it comes to any type of phone. I say....so what? There are far worse things!

Gina said...

2., 6., and 10. are my ABSOLUTE favs!

Rachel said...

Great list! I recently read The Expats, which was an excellent summer read...definitely recommend it! :) (visiting from Mama Kat's)

Gina said...

Thanks, Rachel! I will definitely check out that book.

kayerj said...

you're ambitious. kaye—the road goes ever ever on

Kenya G. Johnson said...

#8 isn't unrealistic at all - and I'm saying that sarcastically! ;-) What kind of books to you like? I kind of read everything. I stumbled upon a good book last summer. Dang I think that was the last book I read. Since you are up North it won't scare the bejezus out of you like it did me. It was an EXCELLENT suspense fiction book called Eyewall. Don't just a book by its name. Okay yes its about hurricanes but it was so good. The author is H.W. Bernard. I promise once you get on a roll you won't be able to put it down.

Gina said...

My to-do lists usually are since I don't make them often.

Gina said...

Re:#8, I can totally see me asking Amanda to do it. She loves organizing unlike her mummy! However, shed also want to keep too much because she loves junk!

After you mentioned it was about hurricanes, I ge the title. I will check it out. I have 3 to finish, 6 in my stack so Eyeball will be a perfect addition. I never judge a book that comes highly recommended. Thanks and I will let you know what I think.

carol daniels said...

I like #3 on your To Do list. I can totally relate to that one!

Gina said...

Absolutely. Happens all the time here!