Friday, June 1, 2012

I'll Talk To Him...AGAIN!

This was written for Write On Edge's Red Riding Hood prompt, playing Victor/Victoria. If you typically write from the male perspective, switch it up to the female. And if you generally write female, go for the male. If you’re writing memoir share a memory from a brother/husband/father’s perspective.

Please Note: You are only “hearing” the guy’s side of this conversation and hopefully your imagination can guide you as to what the woman is asking or saying in response.

*******************************************

Yes, I understand it’s my job. How many times do you plan to bring it up? 


I’ve GOT IT! Teach the boy to be a man. I know, I know. You’ve got the girls. It is different.

We DO talk all the time!

Come on. Do I really need to talk to him about THAT? Again? It’d be like the fourth time. 


That “film” in 5th grade; the middle school talk and he said “No! No questions". I went over it again before he started high school and again before he left last fall. 


Yes, I told him he could ask me anything, anytime.

We DID talk about the “big” stuff, you know. He understands. How often do I have to sit him down about this? Daily? 


I was kidding.


Guys don’t talk about much on the golf course. Nothing came up. I’d tell you.

I don’t think finding that in his jeans means anything really. It looks old. 


No, I didn’t give it to him. I don’t have any! He IS in college, though. 


Well, yes, I did mention that he should always be prepared. Just in case, you know…

No. I don’t  know exactly what the “Fire and Ice” kind is but I could make a pretty accurate guess. 


Yes, you do too but you don’t want to go there because he’s your baby.

No. I don’t think his soul is in moral decay. I think he’s just a college guy looking to have a fun summer with... whatever. But, I don’t know the answer for sure! Again, I’m just guessing.

Ok, Ok! I'll talk to him again.

I hear you. Let me see what I can get out of him. I don’t guarantee he’ll tell me anything. 


When? How about this weekend? 


Fine, tonight.



22 comments:

dontpanic2011 said...

Yep. I can hear both sides of this conversation. I think your male perspective here is spot on. Great job!

Gina said...

Thanks, Wisper! I certainly heard it loud and clear!

barbara @ de rebus said...

Haha! This is great. not only do we get the guy's perspective, I can also see the woman on the other end of the line quite clearly too! And the man rolling his eyes ;).

This line was especially great: "No. I don’t know exactly what the “Fire and Ice” kind is but I could make a pretty accurate guess." Ha!

Very enjoyable read.

Sketchy said...

what a fun take on the prompt. it would never have occurred to me to write a one-sided conversation. that's interesting. the only little technical thing i question is this line--> I think he’s just a college guy looking to have a fun summer with... whatever.

is the "whatever" a dismissive "whatever"? or does it refer to him being a college guy looking to have a fun summer with... (whomever or whoever? not sure which is correct.)

fun read and look forward to reading more.
erica www.writereadrepeat.com

Anonymous said...

Love the one-sided conversation idea and you did it well. The "moral decay" line is hilarious. Mothers and their baby boys. Sweet.

Gina said...

When I read it through after writing, I got his side too but then again...I heard it first hand. Some eye rolling, for sure.

You could say the "Fire and Ice" question was asked in a rhetorical way.

Gina said...

Thanks, Sketchy! Oh, the "whatever" is the BIG whatever. But to my knowledge, we're good so far!

Thanks for visiting and liking!

Gina said...

Yes! Mother's and their baby boys. Very special, sweet bond and somewhat foreign, all at the same time, particularly as we've grown out of the "kid" stage.

Shelton Keys Dunning said...

Oh God...So I remember one time my dad and I were off to a radio meeting. I was sixteen no seventeen. He says casually "So how's your love life?"

MORTIFIED! "Fi...ine.."

Then I realized he was trying to communicate the way Mom and I did. He was jealous of that. Dad and I did things together, but we never talked. Ever. He was attempting a relationship.

I took a deep breath, "Okay so Dixon and Geary won't leave me alone, not in the creepy way Dad, don't break out the shotgun, but who I really want to notice is...well you asked, didn't you"

Anyway, I loved your response to the challenge. I think it's brilliant, and I can feel the comfort level of the Dad here. Well done!

Gina said...

I was the same way with my dad back then. He never would have even touched the subject. Now, we talk about everything.

Funny, yours with your dad! He did ask....

Thanks so much. The Dad and the son are very close but awkward is awkward and both probably don't want to touch it with a ten foot pole but....Dad has to...says Mom.

TMWHickman said...

This was a great take on the the prompt! You nailed that male POV perfectly, hilariously.

Anonymous said...

OK, I'll echo... what a great take on the prompt! I felt like I was sitting in the kitchen, trying to pretend not to listen as the guy is on the phone with his son's mom.

Kathleen Basi said...

Echoing above comments--this is quite well-written. I think we approach these conversations all wrong...sigh.

Gina said...

Thanks, Tina! This conversation, if not for the personal subject matter, makes for a hilarious interaction, I agree.

I was really trying to get the intonation and "vibe" of a guy right. Living with two should make it easier, right?

Gina said...

Amy,
You could have been in the kitchen because that's where most of these types of conversations occur in the typical family (ours?). Thanks for liking!
Gina

Gina said...

Nothing easy about them, ever. I had my own set of "issues" breeching the subject originally with my now 21 year old daughter. We had to leave the Girl Scout version of the "talk" when she was in 5th grade because it made her nauseous and faint. I was all on my own THEN.

Anonymous said...

I like the one sided conversation take. :)

Gina said...

Thanks! It was easy to imagine having the conversation.

Waterfall said...

That was funny and so spot on. I can just imagine this with my husband and son in 20 years, only he would probably tell me to leave him alone and that college guys don't need regular sex talks.

Gina said...

By college...the "talk" better have been ingrained. All hell breaks loose, I fear. Gotta do it early and often, much to the dismay of the father here. In all fairness, he's been a champ about it all. Very sensitive.

Lady Goo Goo Gaga said...

I have 2 boys and I do not look forward to this.....

Gina said...

Interesting to say the least. And awkward! With boys, I think you have to do it more often so lots of the little (big) things sink in especially as they get older like the whole respect thing.