Thursday, January 12, 2012

The Consensus is 50/50 On What's a Comin'

It's been in the news, on the cover of the Tribune and USA Today, one of the top stories on Yahoo News today. Really?

Yes, Chicago is getting it's first snow today...6 to 8 inches predicted! Whoopee. This is not news. It's an expectation and much delayed. Also, our weather people aren't really accurate on a regular basis (about 50/50) so it may be a huge false alarm. It's happened before.

For God's sake, it was 57 degrees yesterday with the sun bright and cheery. It was crazy to see people testing their snow blowers and stocking up on food at the market with hardly a cloud in the blue sky.

I love warm weather more than anything. However, I've lived in Chicago my whole life and we just "Bear Down" and deal. It was bound to happen sooner rather than later being halfway finished with January. 

Back in the day, nothing stopped us from going about our business in the snow and to think there were no SUVs or cars with front wheel drive. School wasn't cancelled, no one stocked up the frig, and my brother and I were the snow blowers! Today, it's a little different. The markets are crowded, snow removers at the ready but every thing won't come to a screeching halt. We live in Chicago. We're ready for this!

(Familiar noise just went by...the first snow plow)

The consensus is about 50/50 as to those looking forward to the storm and those not. I'm in the former group. There is nothing prettier than the first real snow of the year plus it gives me a great excuse to stay in today. I'm not the only one looking forward to the snow. So is Addison and it's started already!


This is all very easy for me to say. I'm outta here on Sunday. Headed to the beach. 

(Amansala in Tulum, Mexico)

Hopefully, when I return, the first snow will have melted!

No comments: