Sunday, October 14, 2012

Stream of Consciousness: Live From New York!


It’s Sunday. It’s Stream of Consciousness Sunday.

It’s “live” from New York! It’s Saturday Night Live!

Obviously, it’s not SNL but it is both, Sunday (too early) and time for stream of consciousness writing.

Five minutes.         Unedited.     Published.


Looking out my window at 6:30 am (way too early), I see the lights of Time Square reflected off the neighboring office building. The lit up billboards are doing their constant blinking thing in the “city that never sleeps”. I’m okay with it because I really don’t sleep either so New York and I have always gotten along perfectly.

I’m halfway through my trip and I hate thinking that way but it always pops into my mind when I’m halfway to home again. Mixed emotions! I love it here but miss home a little too.

I’ve eaten way too much good food. Thai. ITALIAN (the real good kind!). Pizza (not as good as Chicagos) and Sushi. A street vendor's pretzel.

I’ve walked about 20 miles in two days taxis take far too long to move through the mess and tangle of cars, trucks, buses and PEOPLE. And the people are everywhere.

The weekend days/nights are a blast, filled with action and the "let’s see where the wind blows " kind of days. We happpily get swept up in all the commotion.

The last two times I’ve visited, the 9/11 Memorial was messy and underconstruction. Today, we have tickets to finally see it. It’s time.

And tomorrow begins the work week. It will be quieter around here. Hopefully.

I will do one of my very favorite things to do by myself in NYC. Something I used to do when I traveled here often and had a break in my day.

I will meander through The Met (Metropolitan Museum of Art) and relax. Sip coffee. Wander slowly. And check out what used to be my favorite exhibit there…Rodin. I’m miss “Eternal Spring”. But tomorrow I shall see it.

All alone. Perfect.

And meet a friend for dinner someplace really yummy!

STOP!!!


20 comments:

TMWHickman said...

Oh, I loved the food of New York City! The last time I was there was pre-9/11, but I remember it vividly.

ash said...

oh i love NYC! You just made me want to go back, so badly. Maybe for Christmas. I love the city during the holidays. I hope you have a productive, yet relaxing week.

Kenya G. Johnson said...

I visited Chicago back in 2006. The pizza was SO good that I had pizza three times in four days. I've had NY pizza a long time ago. After having Chicago pizza I wondered which was the best. Now I know ;-) Take a picture of your food at the someplace yummy place. Enjoy the rest of your trip.

Unknown said...

Every time I go to NY I gain five pounds sounds like you're right on track! Keep walking baby :)

a.eye said...

There is so much good food!!

Enjoy your peaceful trip to the Met!! And I agree with Kenya - take some pictures so we can all drool over your food.

Sandra said...

Ahh, I'm so jealous! I wish I was there with you. I absolutely adore NYC and haven't been there but once in my life. A trip that will go down in my history as one of my very best. I went three weeks after 9/11 and I was privileged to see, first hand, the devastation in the early stages. I say privileged because I will never forget the spirit of the people of New York. They were bruised but not broken and they loved that I and other travelers were there to support their beautiful city through our visits to shops, the theater, etc. I'm glad you're having a good time in New York. Next time, give me a call and I'll be your travel partner! :)

CG @ Paper Fury said...

Thanks for joining in our linkUP! Loved the stream, even though I haven't been to NYC (or the USA actually!) I had a whiff of it through your writing! After going to China though, I can just imagine how it feels to be sardined with so many people. :)

Unknown said...

Alone in NY? I am green with envy! I would soak up every second and store it for when the blahs hit me. Like now.

Robbie K said...

Sounds like a fabulous time. I've only been to NYC once but I didn't want to leave.

Jamie Miles said...

That sounds wonderful. Quieting wandering around the MET. Have a awesome day.

Gina said...

Each time I eat out somewhere, lunch or dinner, I keep saying "This is my favorite!" but they all are! Thank goodness for all the walking.

Gina said...

Last year, I was here a few weeks before the holidays and it was so fun and the decorations were over the top! Today will be very relaxing, for sure.

Gina said...

I actually thought about you and a picture AFTER I finished my dinner! ABC Kitchen. I highly recommend it!

Gina said...

I'm probably already at five after four days. Yesterday we walked from 55th street all the way down to the World Trade Center. I'm guessing that's 6+ miles. Probably didn't even make a dent.

Gina said...

I'm excited to visit The Met again; it's been too long. I will try to remember pictures if my hunger doesn't win out!

Gina said...

What a special time for you. It was sad seeing all the emptiness down there. I used to do business in One Financial Place, same 'hood and the look of the area is so wrong, to me!

I will let you know next time in advance, so you can book your flight!

Gina said...

Sooo many people it's nuts! What very interesting is you hear so many different languages.

Gina said...

I'm hot completely alone. I'm here with a friend who has different business than me sometimes. I've had only some time to myself which is cool. Today? I have all day for me! Sorry about the blahs!

Gina said...

The minute I pulled up to the hotel, I told my friend I'm not leaving. I immediately called the airline and changed my flight and I'm so happy I did!

Gina said...

Thanks. It does sound wonderful and will be today.