Wednesday, November 13, 2013

WWW. Wednesday: BOOKS!!!


“I can never read all the books I want; 
I can never be all the people I want and live all the lives I want.” 
Sylvia Plath

Over at Should Be Reading, we answer three questions on Wednesdays. 

-       What are you reading?


I also have Runaway (another book of short stories by the same author). I’m not sure if I will alternate back and forth intermingling stories between both books, or not.*

I’m almost finished listening to Eleanor and Park and my heart will be broken when I hear it’s final words.

-       What did you recently finish?


I gave it 3-stars on Goodreads because I liked it. I didn’t love it. McEwan (On Chesil Beach remains my favorite) is one of the best writers on the planet. I love his narration. It’s crisp, descriptive enough without overdoing it. Sometimes it seems so plain that you could miss what’s happening. I know this about his writing so sometimes it takes a bit of focus. His books always start out slow and Amsterdam was no exception.

Three men (although only two I’d consider main characters) are connected to each other because they had the same lover at one point in their lives. Molly. The book begins with Molly’s memorial service which all three attend much to the distaste of her husband.

I couldn’t stand any of the characters (which doesn’t mean I don’t/won’t like a book). They were narcissistic as indicated by the length they would go to satisfy their ambitions and betray each other. The ending befits the lot of them. If you like McEwan, you'll also enjoy this book.

-       What will you read next?

     I’m never sure. It will depend how I feel when I finish Munro’s short stories. I’m craving a little spice because the books I’ve been reading are tame. Eleanor and Park has so much sweet and tender first love stuff that it’s making me crave more, uh, sexy stuff.

Maybe 
Or

Or


*Do you read one book straight through to conclusion or intermingle your reading between two or more essentially reading multiple books at the same time? I have a friend who does this (picks up whichever book strikes his mood at the time) and reads 6, 8, 10 at a time. Just curious!

I am a monogamous reader. Always have been but everyone has their own style.

20 comments:

Elizabeth said...

All of your books look good. Amsterdam looks especially interesting to me. Darn on the 3...I may still check it out, though.

Have a great reading week.

Elizabeth
Silver's Reviews
My W...W...W...

Gina said...

Still read Amsterdam. I liked it. Sometimes a lot! I'm a fan of McEwan. His writing is stunning.

Elizabeth said...

Ok...thanks.

Elizabeth said...

I see you were disappointed because you wanted to read THE OUTCASTS. I would get it out of the library before buying it.

The cover is gorgeous, but the inside is a bit slow. Check my review if you like.

I would still give it a try. :)

Gina said...

I'll take a look at your review. I don't mind slow if there are rewards sprinkled in along the way. Thanks for letting me know.

Patricia Burroughs aka Pooks said...

Lolita--disturbing, lush and magnificent. I can't recommend it highly enough. If you like audiobooks, Jeremy Irons reads it and... that voice, those words, definitely a definition of decadent temptation.

As for 'sexy' -- it is, but there is never a doubt that it's wrong, and not necessarily in a 'good' way. Your tastes are literary, so for sexy literary... huh. I got nuthin. I do have Anais Nin's Delta of Venus that I picked up at an estate sale--original book with dust cover! Still haven't read it.

Samantha Brinn Merel said...

I have so many books on my "to-read" shelf. In my queue are the new John Grisham, 2 books by J. Courtenay Sullivan, Divergent, and just yesterday The Most of Nora Ephron was waiting for me when I got home. I don't even know where to start!

About Last Weekend said...

I just bought five books and rattled through them...still on Donna Tartt's new one which is intriguing sort of Royal Tenenbaums but way too long. Reading is my fave thing and would do all day but life, carpooling and word interrrupts!

Arnebya said...

I can really only read one at a time. I just finished Doctor Sleep and am reading Under the Dome now (back into Stephen King for a while, methinks). I also have And the Mountains Echoed, The Light Between Oceans, and something else I can't remember now. It must not have impressed me by just its insert/description. Oh boy, Lolita. I haven't read that in years.

Gina said...

I'm surprised I've not read before. I have it but sometimes it's a timing thing. I'm prepared for disturbed and lush and magnificent. As wrong as the premise is. Can't wait!

You lucky thing! Care to sell? Kidding but Delta of Venus has been on my to be read list a while and accompanied by Little Birds. Maybe it's time to move one of them up the list!

Gina said...

I just bought Grisham's Sycamore Row for my husband so I will snag it at some point. I read The Engagements by Sullivan recently and it is really good! I'll have to check her other one out!

Gina said...

Ooh! Tell me which!

It took me a week and a half to read The Goldfinch by Donna Tartt. The first 500 pages, I ripped through then I started reading only about 50 pages a day and saved the last 10 for the last day which is when I went to the author's book event. I spoke with her and I gushed and blubbered. But I did manage to tell her that her book took outstanding to a new level!

Gina said...

Like minds!

I want to read Doctor Sleep and The Light Between the Oceans. I get on author kicks too! Yes! Lolita is probably next (after Munro stories) and I will report back in.

Anonymous said...

Sometimes I like Ian McEwan's books--sometimes, not so much. I'll need to give this one a try!

deborah quinn said...

Reading...one of the simplest, most elegant pleasures...to lose oneself in worlds. Love it. I read novels alternating with magazines and newspapers and usually have several books going at the same time - something "serious" with something more fun...Eggers The Circle wasn't a good book but I can't stop thinking about it; wasn't that fond of Tartt's The Goldfinch...

Gina said...

I mostly really like them. This one is probably my least favorite because I only liked it. I still think he's a hell of a writer in any case.

Gina said...

I love the words "one of the simplest, most elegant pleasures" and I wholeheartedly agree! I can read mags, papers, listen to a book and read one. As far as actively reading more than one book at a time, it doesn't work for me. It's too distracting. Not saying that I don't start a few until I settle on the "right" one for the time. I do do that!

I read your review on The Circle and I plan to read it. I think we discussed our opposite views of The Goldfinch. Two of my girlfriends are reading it. I will be anxious to hear their thoughts. I'm predicting a split vote between liking okay and really liking.

Gina said...

I thought of a sexy yet literary read!!! A Sport and a Pastime. It's an oldie, bautifully written, feels almost dreamlike at times and soooooo spicy. Loved it.

Mind Of Mine said...

I love that Sylvia quote!

I usually bounce between 1 and 4 books at a time. One I read on the way to work, the other I read at home and another 2 for when I want a change.

Gina said...

Yes, I like to read everywhere too. My book usually travels room to room, house to car with me. If I happen to forget it, I have an audiobook going. I can't focus on so many at once. Takes a certain mind...

Thanks for the visit MofM! And I love that quote too!