Saturday, November 2, 2013

The Day I Finished The Goldfinch by Donna Tartt


courtesy of blogs.independent.co.uk

This book. This book. This book...

(Check it out on Goodreads)

Donna Tartt is nothing short of amazing. Her writing is so beautifully descriptive without overdoing it. The details. She nails them with an enviable ability to set up images in your mind allowing then the plot and characters to flow over you. Such subtleness.

I have several favorite parts but they aren't story/plot related necessarily. They have more to do with the general message she is conveying. Things that made me think about life. My life. My place here. Maybe it's more to do with loving her writing style for me. And these parts I mention occur in the last 150 or so pages. Yet there is no patience required to get to "the good stuff". I was "all in" from the very beginning.

Sometimes I don't mind when I turn the final page of a book (even if I've liked/loved it). This was not the case with The Goldfinch.  Actually, I rationed the last 100 pages over 3 days, then the last 25 over several hours taking breaks even though I wanted to press on. I saved the final 10 pages for this morning. To savor with a cup of coffee and plenty of time to reflect. And I still wasn't ready.

I am seeing her tonight (in Chicago) and I hope, as she signs my copy, I have a chance to say something to her. I've practiced the words. I had to because I will be very nervous (because it's not often you meet a "crush" in person). I hope to say, "I can't remember when I've read a more satisfying final page and a half of a book. Ever." I mean this.

Salon.com

Read it. It takes a while (or it did, me) but it's worth every word. And I'm happy she doesn't write novels too often. I can spend years anticipating the next one. You know, the whole bated breath thing.

Editor's note: I even had my nails done (for her). A very sassy, almost black, purple. Lincoln Park After Dark...

13 comments:

Anonymous said...

I'm going to have to add this to my "to-read" list on Goodreads!

deborah quinn said...

Hmm. I read it too and while I liked lots of parts of the book, and thought there were some beautiful prose passages & descriptions, I wasn't crazy about it as a whole--i didn't think the whole thing hung together very well, as a story. But maybe I'm just cranky. It did make me wish she'd write a book about art history, though, and I *really* want to see that painting, which is actually on exhibit in New York right now, if you are planning a visit there any time soon...

Jake said...

I'll also pick up a copy soon - I've been reading "Special Topics in Calamity Physics" for a week or so now, and am reaching the end, so I shall probably try and grab this next! Thanks for the recommendation - and I hope the experience of meeting the author is AWESOMEEEE

Gina said...

Do! It's a great read!

Gina said...

You aren't just cranky. I can see what you mean. I was slightly annoyed with two parts, 2/3 of the way through. I wanted to do some editing but I certainly have no business there (so I skimmed a bit). I attributed these long passages to development of the relationship between those two characters. As a whole, I loved the story. And Tartt wrapped it up, for me, exceedingly well at the end. I told her so.

I would die to see it now (It's been on my mind for over a week)! I was in NYC around this time last year and wish...well, it's all about timing, isn't it?

Gina said...

You're welcome. Then you can go see the real Goldfinch at the Met. You will want to! I'm going to check out your book too (you didn't say if you liked it).

Donna Tartt was fab! When I spoke to her, all sorts of crazy came out of my mouth. I gushed a bit but she's probably used to that.

Unknown said...

I always love a good book suggestion!

Melanie said...

Always looking for a new great read...and I totally ration pages too if I'm loving the story. I'll have to check this one out!

psychochef said...

You're the second person this week who has talked about this author and her new book. I hadn't heard of her before, and now I'm totally intrigued.

Kir said...

I downloaded it last night...and if I don't get ANYTHING done this November I'm totally blaming YOU. ;)

I love how you adored this book and now I can't wait to read it.

Gina said...

I slowed way down with this one. I hit it hard for about 4 days then pulled it way back. The last 150, it was difficult, but so worth it. I didn't want it to be over. I still don't want it over. She mentioned on Saturday that two of the main character, Theo and Boris, will stay with her for years to come. And she also said that Henry from The Secret History still visits her in her dreams.

I will be enjoying the residual effects of this book for a long time.

Gina said...

Read it so we can talk about it!

Gina said...

I have no problem being blamed in this regard. I need someone to talk about it with. I won't say hurry up because that would be selfish of me. Read it, take your time, but not too much time!!! ;-)

I loved it. Though I love a lot of books, not every one stays with me for long. I lived with these characters for almost two weeks. They'll run around my brain for awhile.