Tuesday, November 19, 2013

NaBloPoMo: I'm Lame 'Cause I Missed Four Days But I Have A Worthy Excuse!


I won’t admit to being a slacker for missing the entire weekend of NaBloPoMo. Or missing yesterday either. Last year, I didn't miss one day in November and I was really proud. This year, I'm cutting myself slack and not letting myself feel bad for missing a few days.

There are times when life knocks on your door and answering it is not an option especially when it's your out of town weekend guest with suitcase in hand. I wanted to devote my entire time and attention to her. That’s my excuse and I'm sticking with it. 

Backstory: I met Beth on my walk through northwest Spain this summer (the 500 mile Camino de Santiago de Compostela pilgrimage). Actually, she was the first person I saw after walking 6 miles virtually straight up the Pyrenees which border France and Spain. I'm sure I noticed her a moment before the frosty mug of bier in front of her. I was soaked with sweat, thirsty too, so I struck up a conversation.  
It’s not often, later in life that you meet someone and feel connected immediately. Like you’ve known them for years and it's incredibly easy. This was that and we became fast friends.

Her visit was a fabulous opportunity to show her the city of Chicago. The highlight was most definitely cruising the Chicago river on an architectural boat tour (yes, it was still running even for the cold November chill). If you are ever in the city, do it! Actually all the tours through the Chicago Architectural Foundation are awesome. Next time I'd like to take a tour via the "L"! 

We also messed around at The Bean taking "selfies" (because you can and it's probably the only place taking "selfies" should be allowed).

The Bean and Big Bags Under My Eyes!
A Backwards Look at the City Reflected Off The Bean
I also took my turn guest posting over at Yeah Write for NaBloPoMo. My post is about downsizing, which I am currently trying to do with my life. Please visit me and the other bloggers who are squatting at YW for the month of November and bleeding our hearts out!

I'd like to mention that someone said something very nice to me last night. I went to the gym to take a rope class (don’t usually workout at night) and told to a friend I was crabby.

He said, “Your crabby is like someone else’s good day.” I said, “Awwww! Frank that makes me feel better.” It really did. Even though my crabby is just the same as the next guy’s.

Day one of Bikram yoga under my belt (yet again). I’m back on it. It’s brutal. It’s sweaty. It’s mentally taxing. But there is nothing like the feeling of leaving that intensely hot room. I feel great, a shower will feel even better. I should probably do something really productive with my day.

But then this happens…


Also stop by tomorrow. Wednesday is book day and I’m reading some really great stuff!

I have a date tonight! I think we'll see a movie, either Dallas Buyer's Club with Matthew McConaughey or All is Lost with Robert Redford. I've heard both these movies will garner some award show attention. I'll review our choice in the next few days. 

It’s gorgeous in Chicago today. Get out in the fresh air at least for a little while.

**************************
I'm a day late and a dollar short for Linda Roy's "I Hate Mondays" but I'm here now. Mondays have really sucked for me lately. You?


I Don't Like Mondays Blog Hop

I haven't been random over at Stacy's place for a while! Thank you for hosting!


5 comments:

Robbie K said...

Sounds like you have been busy!!

Jack said...

One day I hope to have time to play like that.

Gina said...

Yes, I was very tired by Monday!

Gina said...

When you get old like me, you'll have more time. I promise!!!

adela said...

Love The Bean. Yes, the very best place to take Selfies, and other weirdly distorted and yet beautiful pics.