Monday, September 10, 2012

Rockin' Roll Chick Through And Through: Memories



I’m THRILLED!!! It’s Monday and now that I’ve found Monday’s Music Moves Me, I get to think about music all weekend in prep for today. The theme this week is what “moved” you during your teen years.

I was so very lucky to grow up in the age of real rock and roll. Even though I was brought up in a very strict Catholic household and notched many years of Catholic school on my belt, I was allowed, and miraculously I might add, to attend LARGE out door concerts that came to Chicago. As I’ve said before, “Mom and Dad! What the heck were you thinking?”

So by the time I wrapped up my teen years during my Junior year in college, I’d seen and heard more than most young girls that age should have seen or heard! Again, LUCKY ME!

I start here with what I listened to when I was 13. Everyone out there is pretty young so you may be saying “Who the hell isHE.”



In high school, while the guys were listening to Yes and Pink Floyd, the girls were rocking out to Journey , REO Steedwagon and The Cars seeing all in concert. 





And let’s not forget about my most memorable concert ever seen…The Rolling Stones at Solider Field when I was only 16 years old and Mick Jagger sang Satisfaction with a firehose between his legs squirting the crowd on a HOT Chicago afternoon!


My freshman year our dorm floor blasted Head East from every room. Billy Squire was also a firm favorite.


While everyone listened to Bruce during my junior and senior years, I was in love with Jim Morrison and The Doors. My favorite was request was:




 Thank you Stacy, DollyXmas and all their friends for giving me the opportunity to cruise down the memory lane of my teenage years. Can’t wait for next week and I will be following all of you by then, I promise!


Photobucket


26 comments:

Michelle aka Naila Moon said...

I like your walk down memory lane. Oh to get to see Mick Jagger...whoa!
Awesome music!
~Naila Moon

http://yaknowstuff.blogspot.com/2012/09/im-hereim-hearmondays-music.html

Classic NYer said...

I don't think I've ever heard the original version of Drift Away before... and I had no idea who it was by. Yeah, I know... I'm too young for this party, haha! Thanks for sharing.

Stacy Uncorked said...

Some of the earlier ones were unfamiliar to me, but some of the later ones? Oh yeah.... :) Love your choices! :)



Overcome Livin’ On A Prayer – Every Rose Has It’s Thorn so Lean On Me, F•R•I•E•N•D•S

Danielle S said...

These are all cool classics! I remember some from when my mother would listen to them, and others playing from my sister's stereo in the morning. Thanks for sharing them.

Stacie @ Snaps and Bits said...

We must be near the same age - these were favorites of mine too (although I went more funky with my list today!). Journey rules!

Colette S said...

It's great to have our childhood memories that makes us smile.

I love your list

Just getting my blog back from the hack. Oy!

Have a great week!

XmasDolly said...

Thanks for joining us and sharing some real rock & roll! It's fun to trip the life fantastic when we were young isn't it! Good theme this week. Glad you enjoyed it. Hope to see you next week too!

Gina said...

Hi Naila,
It is fun to remember back and think about fantastic times. Those songs are on my iPod today. I've seen The Rolling Stones 7 times so I feel like I've paid Mick to be my friend but my favorite is really Keith Richards. Stunning guitar player!

Thanks for following me, too!

Gina said...

Hey Classic NYer!
My kids can't believe when I know all the words to some of their songs then I play the original for them! You are never any wrong age for music!

Gina said...

I'm a Bon Jovi fan too and now the "I'll Be There For You" is running through my head since I read yours! Not fair at all!

Gina said...

Well I like your mom and your sister's taste in music then. Thanks for listening to my memories today!

Gina said...

If any one band reminds me of high school, it's Journey. Maybe we are close in age Stacie but I'm not saying! You list was funkier but I love funky!

Gina said...

Great memories are treasures, aren't they? I protect them for all their worth!

I read that welcome back is in order. See you next week!

Gina said...

Thanks Xmasdolly! It's real and old stuff, for sure! It was a fun theme. See you next week.

lumdog2012 said...

In high school, I saw Led Zeppelin (1970), Cat Stevens, who was opening for Traffic, the Allman Bros., Grand Funk Railroad (ok, we thought they were sort of cool back then); Johnny Winter, Rick Derringer (who is now a real estate agent in Sarasota), Taj Mahal and a few others I can't remember :/ BTW, a bit of trivia: Satisfaction was written in Clearwater, Florida, which is near Tampa.

lumdog2012 said...

Not to barge in, but your mention of Keith Richards as being your fav reminds me of one of your posts a while back where you admitted to having a thing for "bad boys". I enjoyed that one!

Gina said...

Well, well, well, Lumdog! You have a very good memory as do I. You are correct. However, I admire Keith for his guitar playing!

Gina said...

Sounds like you had a lot of opportunity for live rock in FLA as well.

I would have loved to see Cat Stevens AND Traffic (I love Steve Winwood). Did not know that about Satisfaction. Thank you for that tidbit. Maybe I will get a chance to use it someday.

Kenya G. Johnson said...

I DEFINITELY would have been jealous of you! My daddy was strict. I was in the 10th grade and won some tickets off the radio to see Morris Day & Time. My daddy didn't even say no. He said, "I know someone at work that would probably buy those from you." She did :-/ Thank goodness he had a very diverse collection of music so I am no stranger to some of the classics. Never heard of the "name" Dobie Gray but I recognized the song.

Gina said...

Okay, don't be upset with me. I saw Morris Day and Time when I was just out f college. They played on a Sunday at something that was called Superfest where about 5 such groups played. It was awesome! Your daddy is clever! I'm sorry for you, though!

We listened to "Drift Away" non-stop! It's on my iPod now!

Larks said...

Oh man, this is great! I wish I could have had this experience!

Gina said...

Thanks, Larks!

Cathy Kennedy said...

Gina, thanks for joining the best dance party in Blogosphere! Your songs really rocked the Love Train. All of your choices brought back memories of my own. Thanks for linking up with Monday's Music Moves Me!

Gina said...

Thanks, Cathy!

Jamie Miles said...

This is all the music I grew up with .... love REO. And Roll with the Changes seems like a fitting soundtrack to where I am in life at the moment. :) "Turn some pages and roll with the changes." Might have to go find that Greatest Hits CD.

Gina said...

Thanks! I loved the music i grew up with!

Tell me about it...I feel like I need to roll with the changes, too. If your tired of the same old stories, turn some pages!