Wednesday, April 22, 2015

Do You Like Reading Poetry?

Yes, sometimes. (I just answered the question myself.) I like poems individually, but I don't think I have ever really sat down and read an entire collection. I never thought I would enjoy that experience as much as I love, love, love reading novels or short story collections. That is until...


LOVE POEM #137

I will wake you up early
even though I know you like to stay throughout the credits.

I will leave pennies in your pockets,
postage stamps of superheroes
in between the pages of your books,
sugar packets on your kitchen counter.
I will Hansel and Gretel you home.

I talk through movies.
Even ones I have never seen before.

I will love you with too many commas,
but never any asterisks.

There will be more sweat than you are used to.
More skin.
More words than are necessary.

My hair in the shower drain,
my smell on your sweaters,
bobby pins all over the windows sills.

I make the best sandwiches you've ever tasted.
You'll be in charge of napkins.

I can't do a pull-up.
But I'm great at excuses.

I count broken umbrellas after every thunderstorm,
and I fall asleep repeating the words thank you.

I will wake you up early
with my heavy heartbeat.
You will say, Can't we just sleep in, and I will say,
No, trust me. You don't want to miss a thing.

                         No Matter the Wreckage
                         Poems by Sarah Kay

Then there's The First Poem in the Imaginary Book and Montauk and Hands!

Swoon!!!!! I chose to read No Matter the Wreckage to give this poetry thing a whirl because, after all, it IS National Poetry Month. I am in love.

Thank you, Rebecca from Book Riot, for this recommendation. I am almost halfway through, and my life has been changed. For the better because of it. I just may be a convert.

No comments: