Wednesday, November 18, 2015

WWW.Wednesday: What Are You Reading on November 18th?

Yes!!! It’s back!

Most Wednesday do not pass me by without thinking about what I am reading. This is due to the book meme called WWW.Wednesday: What Are You Reading? I have missed it, and played along sometimes purely by myself. Thank you Taking on a World of Words for taking the reins and hosting us voracious readers. 

If you want to join in, go HERE and answer three questions:

What are you currently reading?

I am reading All My Puny Sorrows by Miriam Toews. It is fantastic. It is sad and heartbreaking. It is funny. The subject, however, is extremely tender. One sister wants to end her life, while the other is trying to keep her alive. Don’t let this brief description scare you off. It is a special story.

I am listening to A Bollywood Affair by Dev Sonali. I am also not afraid to admit that I love Bollywood movies. Hence my desire to check this book out. It is light, fluffy, fun, but definitely feels formulaic. It is in the romance genre, and if you know me, you know I don’t spend much time there. I probably won’t beyond this, but tune in next week to find out how it was by the end!

What did you recently finish reading?

I recently finished a book of short stories called Excommunicados by Charles Haverty. I wrote about my feels in a previous post, but it has stuck with me. A Goodreads friend for whom I recommended this book wrote, “Gina, this book is superb so far. Haverty is teaching a master class on how to write a short story.” Um, yes, he is! After writing my last little review of it, I got the nicest note from the author. He said writing is like putting out a message in a bottle and you don’t know if anyone will ever find it. Something like that. I am thrilled to have found this collection. Two enthusiastic thumbs up!!!!!

The Grownup by Gillian Flynn because I had to. Because it’s a Gillian Flynn book. I liked it. It was a 64 page horror story essentially. It is in typical Flynn style. Creepy! Keeps you guessing. Unique. If you’re a Flynn fan, and/or love scary stories, do it! You will finish in about one hour.

What do you think you’ll read next?

It feels like the perfect time to curl up and cry with the not so little tome called A Little Life by Hanya Yanagihara. You know, with Thanksgiving next week and all. Might take a while to finish, but you’ll be the first to know.


There you have it! What’s up in your reading world these days???

7 comments:

Stacie said...

I just finished On Writing by Stephen King and it was amazing!

Gina said...

I've heard so many great things, for years, about this book! Need to get my hands on it sooner than later.

Sam said...

I'm glad you liked Flynn's short story. I didn't now she had any out! Happy reading and thanks for participating in WWW Wednesday!

Gina said...

I did like it. Not as much as her novels, but it's still clever and creepy! It's published as a novel but only 64 pages. Thanks for resurrecting WWW.Wednesdays!!!

Ginny Marie said...

I haven't been reading as much as I was because of nablopomo! I just finished reading Still Life by Louise Penny, about a French Canadian detective. It's the best mystery I've read for a while.

Gina said...

I don't read very many mysteries so this is good to know. The last was The Girl on the Train, I think.

Ginny Marie said...

Did you like it? I've heard both good and bad things about it, but it's on my "to read" list!