Wednesday, February 4, 2015

WWW.Wednesday Books: What Are You Reading This Week?

(Editor's Note: I am still using an iPad for blogging. The iPad will not let me italicize anything. Please note that I am fully aware that the title of books should be italicized. [wink])

What am I currently reading you ask?

Lila by Marilynne Robinson is written in such beautiful prose. I am enjoying it very much albeit quite slowly. Its pace is like a turtle's, in my opinion. Don't get me wrong; I like it. It is just not drawing me in like others I whip through. That said, I can't wait to read her Pulitzer Prize-Winning book titled Gilead.

I am also slowly reading a book that a good friend recently sent me in preparation of a trip on which I'll embark next month to Nepal. The book is called Living Fully by Shyalpa Tenzin Rinpoche. Rinpoche is a renowned  Buddhist teacher who was born in the foothills of the Himalayan Mountains. I am going to the Himalayan Mountains! Perfect!!!

What have I recently finished?

Dept. of Speculation by Jenny Offill. LOVED IT! Yes, I am shouting here! This book is clever and different. It is the story of a relationship, marriage really, and its ever changing dynamics. It is so fantastic. I must add that it won't be for everyone because Offill's writing style in this book is unique. Basically, the story is told in snippets. Sometimes just a sentence for a scene; other times a paragraph. It seems choppy, but trust me, it flows once you get used to the book's structure. Two thumps way up! Please try it out and let me know what you think. Here is the Goodreads link:

https://www.goodreads.com/book/show/17402288-dept-of-speculation

Are you still with me and interested in what I will read next?

Either The First Bad Man by Miranda July because I loved her collection of stories called No One Belongs Here More Than You, or The Hundred Year House by Rebecca Mikkai. Maybe something entirely different. Who knows but the wind (my mom used to say that).

If you are interested in seeing what about one hundred other people are reading, check out shouldbereading.wordpress.com.

4 comments:

Jack said...

I think I am going to blame all of my spelling errors on my iPad too. :)

Christie Tate said...

I had the exact same response to Lila. Still waiting for the reading ban to lift on Dept of Spec. And I got First Bad Man on audible! Cheating!

Gina said...

Oops! Did find an it's/its typo. Darn iPad always auto-corrects to it's when I mean it's. See it did it again! ;-)

Gina said...

You have a few more weeks! You can do it! I won't tell anyone you cheated! Let's book talk after Dept. And First Bad Man.