Wednesday, February 25, 2015

Back in the Saddle! My Computer is Fixed!!!

I finally got my laptop fixed. WOO HOO!!!

Okay, here's the deal. Yes, I spilled just the smallest amount of adult beverage on my brand new computer while fixing an elaborate Thanksgiving meal for my wonderful and blessed family.

Lessons learned (and I am sure there will be more)? Do not keep a computer, cell phone, iPad, whatever, on the kitchen island while in a food preparation frenzy. Keep adult (or any) beverages away from your technology. Check. Check.

A big part of why it took so long, first to own up to the issue then drop off for service, was I knew it would be an immensely expensive repair, and it would NOT be covered under my one year Apple warranty, unless Apple recently started covering wine spills or liquid damage of any sort. They don't. So I took my laptop to an Apple authorized repair shop here in the city for a $79 diagnostics exam (I know, 3 months after said event because I really didn't want to deal with it, but in reality, I just didn't want to get into it. Do you "get" what I mean?).

The repair person happened to call in the early evening yesterday, and I actually thought about walking out of the room to take the call.

I didn't, listened, then said, "Okay, can I get back to you tomorrow?"

Only then to be asked quite innocently, "Who was that?"

"Oh, just the computer repair place. I took my laptop in today."

"Really? What did they say?"

I winced then spewed, "So it seems that the very tiny amount of liquid I accidentally spilled on Thanksgiving while making dinner happened to enter at the perfect angle and spot to completely corrode the mother board that controls the computer's display which they said they could repair just like brand new for $XXX.xx parts and labor and all they have to do is order the board then fix it which will only take a matter of days so I could have it by the weekend and the good news is it would still be under Apple's limited warranty since they are an authorized repair facility and I am paying out of pocket doesn't that sound pretty good Honey?"

Then I held my breath.

The dollar amount was met, only, but not surprisingly, with two extremely wide eyes. Almost bugged out if I were to describe them more accurately.

I gave a silent "phew", and not that I expected any other reaction. I just really felt bad. It was a careless, and costly mistake.

The good news is I am back in the saddle!!! And no worse for the wear.

Care to know what I'm reading? It is Wednesday after all.

I think I will write another post purely about books because... I CAN!!!!!!!!!!!



7 comments:

Just Keepin It Real, Folks! said...

Glad you are back in the saddle. Was the wine at least worth it? Hey, I'm back too after a year break. Great to see you!

Jack said...

I think I will write another post purely about books because... I CAN!!!!!!!!!!!

So where is it? ;)

Gina said...

Hahaha! I don't remember if the wine was worth it because it was so long ago and I was so busy cooking I was barely swallowing! Missed your fun observations!

Gina said...

I fed fish all day today! A few fiascos mixed in. Tomorrow! Off to read!

Kir said...

I'm so glad you're back...although I am not "back" yet. Not really. My words are lost.

But let's chat on our emails!!! (With Martinis)

xo

Gina said...

Hey, girlfriend! I know that lost front. I still kind of have it. I will email you today, sans Martini but not because I don't want one!

Kenya G. Johnson said...

Doesn't it feel good to be back? Yeah so the final on my two stages of getting fixed is also XXX.xx. But it's done. And mine was not my fault so I thank you for saving me because I could have likely done done this in the future and in that case I'd just want to throw the laptop in the trash.