Sunday, February 1, 2015

SOC Sunday: A Winter Storm Seen from the Sky

I live in a condominium on the twelfth floor of a high rise building. The entire front and most of one side is floor to ceiling windows. We face South, mostly, though the windows afford us a large slice of East as far as the horizon allows, and the West until the skyscrapers disappear as the Chicago River veers.

We are under a full-fledged weather warning.

Whisper fine flakes of snow are swirling in the strong wind, beating into our windows. I can hear their wet pelting sound hit the glass. A bus drives below on LSD. Snow adding four inches to its height. A usually congested thoroughfare on any other day, the only cars on the road now are brave souls. It is probably a skating rink out there.

This is the first winter storm "event" I have witnessed so far this winter. Maybe we will get 14 inches, or 5, but it is pretty watching it develop down below, from above. It's a prospective I haven't had before. One hundred and forty some odd feet in the air.

*****************

Five minutes, unedited, push publish.

Allthingsfadra.com  hosts the place to link up our stream of consciousness writing on Sundays. If I could, I would write this way everyday. I should. Just do it.

9 comments:

The Sisters' Hood said...

Thinking a hot coffee or a glass of wine ... a throw, a good book, and a view of Wintery silence would be wonderful right about now. Enjoy ...

Kenya G. Johnson said...

I bet that is interesting. I'd love for you to post some pictures of your new perspective. Funny I haven't heard anything about this event and it's sounds like it's going to be worse than the one that happened in the northeast last week.

all.things.fadra said...

I was just reading that the storm rolling into Chicago could be one of the ten worst in its history. But I'm glad you can appreciate the beauty of it and it's actually pretty amazing to get to watch it from your perspective. I've never seen snow in that way. Take pictures!

Gina said...

Oh, it's nothing like they got out East last week. I think, all told, we got about 18". It's tricky but not unexpected here. The problem was the high winds, in my non-meteorologist opinion. We had plans with friends for the Super Bowl that were derailed, but a party for two turned out better!

I took a few videos. I don't know how to efficiently post them here though. Do you know?

Gina said...

Well, I've been around long enough to see some in the top five no doubt. It was nasty but doable because we live in Chiccago, and Chicagoans are used to winter weather. It was beautiful from up here until we had to grocery shop. Bundle up, then stop for a hot toddy on the way home! That worked!

Ginny Marie said...

Wow, that would be a very different perspective! We went out to shovel our driveway four times yesterday, and I was worried I wouldn't be able to get out this morning. I thought for sure that we would have school today since every district except ours had canceled by dinnertime. But I finally got the call at 10:30 last night that we have a snow day! My husband still had to go to work, but his car is better in the snow than my minivan.

Gina said...

We went out early-ish for provisions, then stopped on the way home for a Bloody Mary. It was beautiful outside, in a cold and nasty way. The rest of the day we shared a couch, blanket, food and wine. Turned out pretty well.

Gina said...

It is the first year we didn't have to shovel ourselves out. Multiple times in one day! Can't even say where our snowblower is. I heard on the news that schools were canceling. When we were kids, I don't remember many snow days, do you? The aquarium is open so you could always hop a train and go there.

Got a call this morning around 6:00 from my daughter who wanted to use my car to get to work. Interesting that we have her some advice as to what to do about her car yesterday so she wouldn't be in a pickle this morning. Of course, said advice went unheeded! My husband uses the underground pedway for at least a mile for is walk to work. So that works well!

Jack said...

Eighty degrees today, fun to think about a snow storm or watch on television. Happy not to have to shovel. :)