Saturday, May 31, 2014

Sunday Stealing: Answering 19 Fluffy Questions


I simply did not feel like coming up with anything to write today. I am far too crazy busy to think straight, but also felt like putting something down in this space. Plus, I am not very good or eloquent talking about myself (I hate it), so this could be considered an exercise of sorts. Therefore, I am playing along with this meme, which I haven’t done since I started blogging two and a half years ago. Some people I read call it a “fluff” post. I am okay with fluff.

You can find the origin of this meme here. It is called Sunday Stealing. And here are this week’s 19 questions:

Where would you retire to?  I would retire to a Caribbean island for winters, and spend summers at the lake. Not sure which one though, but a sailboat in the Caribbean would be the best of all worlds for me.

What are your best physical features? Definitely my eyes (Very light blue, so light that it is difficult for me to be out in the sun without shades), and my legs, which are more than half the length of my body (hip bones to feet).

What are your best characteristics? I believe I am very nice to everyone; doesn’t matter who you are. I am an intensely good listener. I am non-judgemental. People who are looking to have some fun usually call me.

What kind of books do you like to read? I like fiction. I also like books with a little meat on their bones, not just a light and fluffy read. Ideally, I would like something philosophical, at least a little, on which to chew.

What are you reading now? I am reading The Light Between Oceans by M. L. Stedman, and I am really liking it. Also, I am listening to All the Pretty Horses by Cormac McCarthy. I’ve been on a bit of a McCarthy kick here recently.

Where would you want to retire to? I swear I just answered this…

What is your favorite time of day? I love mornings, so fresh and new, and the hour right before I go to bed.

Where did you grow up? I grew up in a suburb of Chicago called Elmhurst. It was quiet and family oriented. My grandmother’s sisters (my great aunts) lived on either side of me, yet I was still able to get into trouble without being caught. I wasn’t closely watched.

How far away from your birthplace do you live now? I could walk to the southwest corner of Elmhurst right now if I wanted. It is about six-ish miles away from where I sit.

Are you a morning person or a night owl? I am both. I love seeing a sunrise, but don’t often enough. I’m a chipper morning person usually waking up in a good mood ready to start the day, but I prefer my mornings to be very solitary for the first hour or so. But I also love to read into the wee hours, which then makes seeing that sunrise more challenging. I’m tired most of the time.

What inspires you? Books and people, but not in that order.

Can you close your eyes and raise your eyebrows? Are there really people out there who can’t?

Do you have pets? I have a very large chocolate Lab. She’s six but still acts like a gregarious, and sometimes naughty, puppy. I swear she’s trained.

How many rings before you answer your phoneSomething about a ringing phone gets under my skin. I don’t ever answer the “home” phone. Really. It never fails to be a solicitor. When we move, we will not install another landline. I don’t even look at the Caller I.D. I do answer my cell phone. How many rings depends on who it is, and how I am feeling at the time. I usually pick up quickly, but my phone is always set to vibrate so I don’t always catch it. 

What are some of the different jobs that you have had in your life? I have worked since I was fifteen years old. Some highlights are working security at Carson Pirie Scott, the snack shop/golf cart shack at my university’s course, counting the weekly collections at my church. As an “adult”, I was always in technology sales.

My current job is really fun. I work at the Shedd Aquarium along the lakefront in Chicago. I am one of the divers. My current assignment is maintaining tanks in the Amazon Rising exhibit. There are some big A$$, prehistoric looking fish in there, as well as huge turtles (who thinking I have food), fresh water stingrays, and PIRANHAS.

Any new and exciting things that you would like to share? Can’t think of anything. I am fully consumed with putting my house on the market and moving to the city.

What is most important in life? Having the people you love, love you back. Living life in such a way that you can sleep at night.

Did you dream last night? I dream every single night. So yes I did. It involved a dog that barked incessantly, and I remember being very annoyed. It wasn’t my best dream ;-).

Do you remember your dreams? Yes, I remember just about every single one, at least immediately after having them. The slip my mind quickly if I don’t write them down, which I used to do but do not not do currently.

Hey, feel free to ask me a question. I will (probably) answer close to anything.

This was really fun!!!

8 comments:

TMWHickman said...

Moving can be sooo stressful! But keep your eye on the prize...

Kir said...

you're really one of my favorite people on the internet...but I wish I could ask you these questions in person, over cupcakes and drinks of our choice :)

good luck with the move!!! (and I'm finally reading The Goldfinch on your recommendation...we'll discuss when you're all settled okay?)

xoxo

Gina said...

You are so very sweet! And I am devastated I missed the opportunity to do this with you last summer! Someday, we WILL!!!

Have been reading lots of great stuff! Hang in there with The Goldfinch. It is not the lightest book (downright depressing at times), but Tartt is such an amazing writer! I wish I could crawl inside her mind.

Gina said...

It's the perfect diet! The pounds just fall off, but I am perpetually exhausted! I can see light!!! Thanks for the encouragement, Tina!

Samantha Brinn Merel said...

Moving is the worst! But once you get to the new place and unpack, everything snaps back into focus. Also, I read all of Eleanor and Park on Saturday, from start to finish. It took me about 3 hours and now I am completely obsessed with it, so thanks for that :)

Gina said...

You would certainly know. We have not moved in 14 years, and accumulated too much stuff. Today, the realtor told me to severely downsize the book inventory :-(. That makes me very sad, but I will do it (by Wednesday is the order).

So happy you liked it. You with then like Fangirl. Did you acquire The Rosie Project?

Kenya G. Johnson said...

Hey Gina, I'll go and see what's up for this Sunday since I feel in need to write something. Oddly I thought about you last night when I was putting blue cheese on salad. It was you who doesn't like it right? And I agreed to the gross? I'm re-grossed out because I think it was molded. Not sure. I never knew about your diving job. That's pretty cool ;-) Good luck with selling the house.

Gina said...

I see that you wrote something so I will get over for a visit, and I should go look at the questions, too, but I am out of town without good access. That is so funny you remember that about me. I do not like/eat blue cheese. It gags me. It IS mold!!! Though I guess all cheese is a form of it. And I do love cheeses in general.

My job is very fun, very interesting, and sometimes a little creepy when I actually describe to someone exactly what it is that I do and the animals with which I do it! It's pretty tiring.

I hope the house sells quickly. It's like you can't even really live in your own home anymore when it is on the market. Thanks for the wishes.