Thursday, May 22, 2014

WWW.Wednesday: Book Post From My Phone

This will be a very sparse post. I am writing it on my phone as it is the only device I have at hand.

What are you currently reading?

I am still reading the 1914 book of letters titled The Things He Wrote to Her.

Yesterday I began The Light Between Oceans by M.L.Stedman. This book currently seems  to have some buzz surrounding it. We shall see how it holds up.

What have you recently finished?

The Storied Life of A.J.Fikry by Gabrielle Zevin. I really enjoyed this book. It's set in a bookstore (Yea!), on a New England island, and references books (those I've read and haven't, but would like) throughout. The story is sweet and touching and easy. It is definitely a great summer read.

I also finished The Road by Cormac (love this name) McCarthy. Would you find me strange if I said I loved this book? It is dark and depressing and desolate. That said, the writing is beautifully sparse, and, wonderfully yet precisely descriptive. McCarthy hits a home run with word choice. What I loved best about this book was the depiction of  a tender relationship between a father and son, and what lengths a father/parent would go to protect and care for his child. It broke my heart in such a stunning way. I may have reacted so strongly to this book because I listened to it. It is mostly dialog, and the actor reading it did a marvelous job shifting between the voices of the father and son. If you read it, please get back to me with your thoughts!

What will you read next?

Sorry, I have absolutely no idea, but maybe a book about how to sell your house quickly!

That's it for this week. Thanks to Miz B for hosting at Should Be Reading. I always feel like I should be reading. Something. Don't you?

2 comments:

Samantha Brinn Merel said...

I just ordered a whole bunch of books you recommended to me!

Gina said...

Oh NO!!! But then again, you've got the disease, too ;-)!