Wednesday, May 6, 2015

The Real Life Andy Dufresne


One of my all time favorite movies is The Shawshank Redemption. I can't even count on both fingers and toes the number of times I've seen it because I have watched so many bits and pieces. If we are channel surfing and it is on? We will watch!

Remember the beach at the end? In Zihuatanejo? It became a life's quest to search it out and wiggle my toes in the same sand as Andy.

The movie's beach is actually several miles down the road from Zihuantanejo's two main playas, in a beach town called Barra de Potosi. It is a long stretch of sand called Playa Largo. On Sundays, families spend the day floating in the brackish waters of the lagoon, horses frolic in the sand beside children, and tourists relax in hammocks among the locals.

It is the beach where Red finds Andy. It is quiet and beautiful. I have been there twice.

I know the movie is based on a true life story yet I only knew some of the details. More came to light today. Did you see this?

The real Andy Dufresne was caught after 56 years.

I understand seeking justice and everything, just like seeking the perfect strip of sand (Okay, not exactly the same.). But I really wanted to go on thinking Andy was on the beach in Zihuatanejo working on his boat, sipping a cervaza, and waiting for Red to show up.

1 comment:

Jamie Miles said...

Do you know -- and I am only admitting this because I've already admitted enough embarrassing stuff on my blog you've read that this is tame -- I have never seen Shawshank? To see it is now my quest and will let you know what I think. Happy Mother's Day xoxoxo