I drifted through the caverns of a warm and cozy, under soft down, deep sleep place, and floated off.
I couldn’t hear the snap of cotton drapery signaling nighttime’s drop in temperature and autumn’s approach.
The ceiling fan blew chills like a bellow eliciting goose bumps on my uncovered skin.
Curled on my side, I began to creep over. Inching until I felt a warm line down the center of my back.
The contact of bare arm against body was all it took.
I remember breathing deeply and acknowledging comfort’s return and swimming away.
But then you spoke.
And I didn’t expect your voice.
My ears strained to hear you. My mind couldn’t grasp your words. My head was reeling.
“What did you say?”
Rolling over onto my back, I waited for your answer.
When no words came, I started to wake up.
Really wake up.
My fingers groped for the spot where your voice came from.
And the sheets were cold.
This was written for Trifecta. The word is:
: to take or seize eagerly
: to clasp or embrace especially with the fingers or arms
• Your response must be between 33 and 333 words.
• You must use the 3rd definition of the given word in your post.
• The word itself needs to be included in your response.
• You may not use a variation of the word; it needs to be exactly as stated above.
• Only one entry per writer.
• If your post doesn't meet our requirements, please leave your link in the comments section, not in the linkz.
• Trifecta is open to everyone. Please join us.